Time

Posted by The Wizzle | Posted on Friday, November 2, 2007 at 1:44 PM

4

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
You fritter and waste the hours in an off hand way

Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting
for someone or something to show you the way


Tired of lying in the sunshine staying home to watch the rain
You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today

And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but its sinking
And racing around to come up behind you again

The sun is the same in the relative way, but you're older

Shorter of breath and one day closer to death

Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time

Plans
that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines

Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
The time is gone, the song is over, thought Id something more to say


Home, home again
I like to be here when I can

And when I come home cold and tired
Its good to warm my bones beside the fire

Far
away across the field

The tolling of the iron bell

Calls the faithful to their knees

To hear the softly spoken magic spell...

- Pink Floyd -



Those of you who know me, know that I am irrationally intimidated by all things crafty. I don't sew, I don't scrapbook, I don't paint, draw, or sculpt. I don't quilt, I don't knit, I don't decoupage. I don't arrange flowers, I don't set festive holiday tables - I'm supremely overwhelmed by all of it. Once in awhile I get a harebrained notion to undertake a project of this nature, and it almost always takes at least a full year to complete, with much moaning, groaning, procrastinating, and general making of excuses along the way.

Three weeks ago we had gone to see a movie with some friends. We were really early, so we set up shop next door in As You Wish to watch my friend Gretta work on a Christmas platter. As You Wish, if you've never been there, is the kind of place that would inspire hyperventilation and a nasty rash in somebody as crafty-phobic as I have just admitted myself to be. You walk in, choose an item - be it a plate, a butter dish, a figurine, or a jewelry box - paint it as you wish (get it?), and come back in 3 days to pick it up all fired and presumably looking charming and adorable.

Gretta ordered me to grab a knicknack and get painting, since we had 2 hours and nothing else to do. I made a number of self-deprecating comments and said I'd rather save my money and have Devlin paint me something, since that was sure to look better anyway. But then I thought, why not? I stood and walked around the edge of the store, looking for something inexpensive and inconspicuous and easy.

Then I saw it.

"Paint a plate, we'll make it into a clock for an additional $5!" Looking at the sign, the words to this song occurred to me, as they often do when I see a clock. And I had my project. I finished it before the movie started - barely! - and yes, it does definitely look handmade (to put it very kindly). But it scared me and I did it anyway, and seeing it in my house has been a strangely persistent reminder to just.do.it. Whatever it is. To stop waiting for an invitation, for validation, for permission. To swallow my fear and stop making excuses and put my money where my mouth is. To reclaim "Carpe Diem" from mass-produced vinyl wall lettering and put just a little bit of the real thing back into my life.

I have to tell you, it feels really good.



Comments (4)

Go Rachel!

That turned out really cute! How fun! I've never been there, but I must say that I've been inspired! And, P.S. I KNOW that you ARE indeed a tad bit crafty, as I just recently came across a birthday invite for Devlin a few years ago. If I saved it, that means I thought it was cute. So THERE!

See now, but that was the almost the last time I made an invitation (or scrapbook page, or any kind of paper craft!) I did make Dev's invitations again this year, but that was easy because all I had to do was find some Cars paper and he was happy as a clam.

You should totally go- it's something fun to do with a group. It's really interesting to watch everyone work at their different pace, different way.

AND what about all those fantastic 100 things you make for everyone? Well, I'll tell you what. If you did have less than zero talent in craft-related things it would be justifiable for all the talent you have with words. You utterly amaze me. And isn't that thrilling that you did it? Reese Witherspoon says of choosing roles: If there's something that scares me, I know I should do it. You came off conquerer! Congrats!