Twenty Year Tag

Posted by The Wizzle | Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 at 8:30 AM

9

20 years ago I was

1. 7 years old
2. Living in Mesa, AZ
3. The only girl playing soccer at recess at Franklin Elementary School (goalie)
4. Reading The Babysitters' Club, Little Women, The Count of Monte Cristo, and anything else I could get my hands on
5. In the unfortunate habit of braiding my hair wet, then rolling up the tiny braids into pink foam curlers and sleeping on it for a giant cloud of crimpy orange fluff the next day. I may have also had a daily uniform of leggings, oversized neon shirts, and white velcro hi-tops, but I can neither confirm nor deny this information.
6. Extremely competitive as always, crying over every solo not gotten and every spelling bee lost by one word

10 years ago I was

1. 17 years old
2. Living in Mesa, AZ
3. Dating my now-husband as a junior and senior in high school
4. Writing angsty poetry, listening to a lot of Tori Amos (hey, I still do that!), wearing black velvet and fishnets
5. Sister Sarah Brown in the illustrious Mesa High production of Guys and Dolls
6. Insanely jealous of Heidi getting married - even my idealistic, high romanticized brain knew 17 was too young but that didn't stop me from wishin' and hopin'

5 years ago I was

1. 22 years old
2. Living in Mesa, AZ (noticing a pattern here?)
3. Working as a dental hygiene assistant in North Scottsdale and cursing my wretched commute
4. Sweating through the summer, shockingly close to 200 pounds and weeks away from my due date with my first baby, a little boy to be named Jack :)
5. Living in my little house that had 2 rooms completely empty because we just didn't need the space yet! HA!
6. Missing my music - not participating in any choir or performing group

3 years ago I was

1. 24 years old
2. Living in Mesa, AZ
3. The lucky mother of the least-terrible 2-year-old ever to walk the earth
4. Just barely pregnant with what I just *knew* was a little girl
5. Still trying to find my groove as a stay-at-home mom
6. Thrilled to be a "founding member" of Schola Cantorum, with Eve as our mascot since she came to all the rehearsals the first year

So far this year I have

1. Found myself strangely looking forward to both my husband's 10-year high school reunion and turning 30 not so far off in the distance
2. Turned over a new leaf and started regularly exercising for the first time since I was en pointe 5 times a week
3. Managed to find myself pregnant yet again (hey, another pattern)
4. Found peace with my little house and learned to enjoy the challenge of fitting my family of almost-five into it happily
5. Loved having my mom back, active and healthy
6. Learned (and continue to learn!) how to parent both a sweet gentle boy AND a firecracker girly girl

Yesterday I

1. Took the kids to church ALONE and lived to tell about it
2. Attended 3 hours of said church and managed not to hear a single complete thought due to a series of potty misadventures and temper tantrums
3. Got a solo bike ride, although a very short one due to the tragic fact that it is 5 million degrees in the shade here
4. Went visiting teaching
5. Got the twisted idea that if I can manage to break a pipe somewhere and flood my downstairs (like happened to my visiting teachee) then I too can have all my carpet replaced for free! This has possibilities.
6. Had a delightful dinner as always at Granny and Grampa's house

Today I

1. Successfully mediated the "what should we have for breakfast" argument (waffles with boysenberry syrup won by a nose)
2. Reduced my daughter to tears because I did allow her to pick her nose in the privacy of the bathroom, but stopped short of letting her eat it
3. Successfully mediated the "what should our one show be today" argument. It was Eve's turn to pick, but Devlin likes to try to manipulate the outcome. The winner was Sesame Street All-Star Alphabet, in case anyone wants to know (or comiserate)
4. Had the awesome surprise of hearing my husband's very noisy car pull up in our driveway just 30 minutes after he left for work. The AC was broken at his building, so he gets to work from home - it's our little desert rat version of a snow day!
5. As a result of #4, now have fun plans to go to the gym and hopefully out to Indian food for lunch with David and the kids instead going to the gym alone and dining (yet again) on PB&J.
6. At 9 am, not only know what we're eating for dinner tonight, but have all the ingredients and have the chicken thawing. Yes, this is unusual.

Tomorrow I

1. will take the kids to swimming lessons
2. will relish not having to make dinner due to my exceptional foresight in making something today with yummy leftovers
3. will NOT blog, because dang if this entry isn't taking long enough to last me the whole week
4. odds are, will do at least one load of laundry
5. will continue fruitlessly obssessing over my current Honda Odyssey/Mazda5 dilemma for our next family car
6. will clean all my bathrooms - challenge to self

In the next year I

1. will see what adding a third child into our family dynamic does for my sanity
2. will get the wood floors I've always dreamed of? Maybe?
3. will perform with my newly-not-associated-with-MCC choir
4. would like to go to both Utah and Colorado
5. will get to wear regular clothes again! Hooray!
6. Will have long, beautiful hair instead of this scraggly growing-out mess I currently am sporting

I tag my sister Emily and my husband David (and anyone who wants to do this, consider yourself tagged! I love reading these). This is fun but it takes forever, so fair warning!

Comments (9)

This is fun to read. Thanks for taking the time.

I'm sure you don't want my opinion :) but the Odyssey rocks and wood floors are NOT all they are cracked up to be. I thought white tile was high-maintenance until now! Sheesh! And they are only pretty when they are clean, clean, clean. :)

That kind of post takes commitment! Longer than 5 sentences and I'm pooped. I'm kind of looking forward to our high school reunion too, but i go back and forth between looking forward to it, and imagining being there knowing like 3 people and those three people talking smack about me. :)

Are you talking about me? If you are, Thanks alot (said smuggly under my breath through clinched teeth).

Oh, I meant my sister (I knew I should have specified!) but I'd love for you to do it too! I love tags like this (yes, I am a Giant Loser) and I want to hear everyone's answers.

Hear that, everybody? If you read this and wan to do it, consider yourself tagged. The more the merrier!

Thanks for sharing Rachel. I am lucky enough to have a been a part of all those things . . .
Love,
Dad

I love your humor and can totally relate to your church experience. I also can't wait to wear regular clothes in the comming year!

I love you. I love that this clever, witty woman behind this blog is MY sister. You can't know how entertaining you are. And it's a darn shame you can't. Did you say Utah next year? :) Love you so much! Will respond soon.

That was so fun to read! I can't believe how long we have known each other! It's been I think 14 years? Crazy!!!