Rx

Posted by The Wizzle | Posted on Thursday, June 11, 2009 at 1:57 PM

11

Some days, I wonder what I was thinking, having children.

Three. Three kids, seriously? Rachel? Bueller? Anyone??

I know people with more children than I have. Sane, happy, "together" people. I'm not saying it can't be done, and done well. But this isn't their blog, it's mine. And today, I feel like spilling my guts.

I am exhausted. Mentally, physically, emotionally exhausted. I, in all seriousness, do not have a moment to myself. Everywhere I go, everything I do (or try to do), everything I see has their literal and figurative fingerprints on it.

If I try to sit down and watch a little TV during naptime, there are packing tape and three raisins stuck to my butt when I stand up.

If I try to take a bath, there is dried poop on the rim of the tub.

If I try to curl up on the couch with a book, all the cushions are in a pile (sorry, "fort") in the middle of the living room.

If I try to get dressed and go out, my shoes have all been buckled/laced/velcroed together in a chain stretching from one end of my closet to the other. (This is assuming there isn't a baby sleeping in my closet, preventing me from getting dressed altogether).

If I try to do the dishes, there is a "tire swing" made from my tape measure and a teething ring hanging from my faucet, with Lambey dangling below.

If I try to work out, there is a baby pawing at my sweaty, downward-dogging face.

If I try to have a snack, I am assaulted with so many calls for frozen grapes! string cheese! nectarines! goldfish crackers! waffles! orange soda! edamame! that by the time I have silenced the din, I either forgot to eat or have lost my appetite.

If I try to pee alone, I close the door behind me and turn around to find a stuffed pig on the back of the toilet, one in the sink, and one sitting on the TP roll. "Asleep". And if I move them, you bet your last shiny nickel I will hear about it - loudly.

If I try to go shopping, I never make it out of the toy department.

If I try to make some music, I am quickly sat upon by two different people fighting over who can find middle C first.

I love them. Of course, I love them. With all my heart. I would run into traffic for them. I would (and have) catch their poop, wipe their noses, and pick out their favorite color vitamins every morning. I love them.

But sometimes they drive me CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!

* * * * * * * *

There, I feel better! And tomorrow is a new day. For all of us.

Comments (11)

Parenting is exhausting! Keep blogging . . .

Thank you so much for sharing! Sometimes in the world of blogging people put out an unrealistic portrait of the perfection of parenting. Of course there are perfect moments, ones we should celebrate, but I don't think my reflections (blog) would be that realistic if I focused on just those moments.

Great stuff!

Rach, I admire your honesty. But seriously! You're a G-RREAT mom!

Rachel you are an amazing mom. I can relate too well to the animals "asleep" in the bathroom or in other odd places. Thanks for your honesty, you made my day!

Oh Rachel.

I can smile at this because I'm not there yet, and it's all rosy from my view. You are so wonderful and your life, in all it's craziness, is wonderful to me. You are so sweet. We will go have some kid-free fun tomorrow! LOVE YOU!!

You can also bet your last shiny nickel that it will all be worth it. :) Love you Rachel. You are a great mom.

Ah, sorry it was a bad day. You have a hilarious way of venting, though! Loved the post.

We all have days like that, and it doesn't help during the summer when everyone is home and it's too hot to go outside!!

You are an awesome mom.

Come visit! We'll let the kids loose in Silverton to run until their legs fall off! It's nice and cool there!

Rachel,
Loved this post. Ya know, most days I just have to laugh all the craziness off and of course I keep blogging. It is funny how my blog has become my journal. I write about our crazy days, our fun, our sickies, and just about everything else in between. Feels good to just get it out. We all have "Those" days and at the end of everyday, I know we would not trade them for the world.

This too shall pass, I promise. And a lot sooner than you think. I must share, though.....

One day, the kids were driving me to distraction. I had to get away, so I locked myself in the bathroom. I sat there, fully dressed, on the toilet trying to calm myself. All of a sudden I see little fingers creeping under the door. Then a ruler, then a yardstick. The resourcefulness brought a smile back to my face, and I was ready to weather the storm once again.

I loved the post--it brought back so many memories. Hang in there, girl. You're doing a fabulous job of raising wonderful human beings.

lol. this was very entertaining. i hear ya, sister. hugs all around.