A day in the life (again)

Posted by The Wizzle | Posted on Saturday, July 11, 2009 at 9:53 AM

7

Last time I did one of these was 2 years ago - I figured things have changed sufficiently around here that it would be fun to document another one of my days, in all its glorious, ridiculous banality. David was working from home on the day in question (Friday) so he did help me take a couple of pictures, but what you see here is what there is, pretty much.

6:48: Iris awake. Lay in bed, nurse baby, let her crawl around, over, and through her mostly-sleeping parents. Put off getting out of bed as long as possible.



7:07: Eve awake. Reluctantly force self into vertical position.



7:25: Downstairs, breakfast served. Busy morning ahead, so it's the quickie version. Monkey cereal!



7:40: Dev up, with David's help. He is my sleepiest child.



7:48: Upstairs. Must dress self and children for public display - highly unusual for this time of morning. In the interest of full disclosure (since everyone else has been photographed in their pajamas), this is me. Your humble narrator, as is.



8:17: Leave for pediatrician. Well checks for big kids. Pray silently that Eve doesn't have to have any s-h-o-t-s, as merely entering the office parking lot is likely to result in pronounced sulking, dragging of feet, and whining to beat the band.



8:30: Arrive at doctor, ON TIME, congratulate self. Sign in, fill out new insurance forms. Big kids watch Meet The Robinsons in waiting room. Small kid frolics on doubtless germ-infested floor.

8:40: Dr. Mike arrives in exam room. I love Dr. Mike. I love timely appointments (this is why I schedule so early in the morning). Visit goes smoothly. Devlin can't seem to tell the different between a circle and a boat on the vision testing chart, but Eve is cooperative and remarkably not terrified.



(In case you are dying to know, Eve is in the 75th percentile all around, and Devlin is 61st for height and 29th for weight. This explains why his pants often fall down around his ankles when he runs.)



9:20: Get stickers for good behavior. Leave office.

9:32: Arrive home.

9:45: Baby nursed and asleep. Turn on Meet The Robinsons for the kids, who have been inspired to remember a forgotten favorite by the ped's office. Try and fail to whip newly not-bitten fingernails into shape. Whatever.

10:00: Yoga.



10:55: Finish. Wish I could lay on the floor and "meditate" for the next 72 hours.



10:59: Iris awake. She is much happier about this than I am.



11:00: That's the garbage truck in front of my house. My garbage can is not visible because it's still in my back yard. Argh.



11:05: Cut canteloupe for allegedly ravenous children. Surf internet. Try to stall lunchtime so we can all eat as a family, since David's probably not hungry yet.

11:25: David leaves for lunch. At a restaurant. With one adult friend.

11:28: Serve mishmash of leftovers for lunch. Field questions, with varying degrees of success, about the nature of carbonation and how crayons are made. Pile of dirty dishes grows frightening large and threatens to become visible above the island counter. (That is my personal threshold.)



11:30: Close laptop, which is sabotaging all attempts to be, or pretend to be, productive today.

11:45: Clean kitchen. (Lazy Mom tip #4,719: place large dishtowel under high chair for all meals. Shake off in sink when done, hence limiting your vacuuming to once per day. You can eliminate vacuuming altogether, actually, by placing the baby on floor after all meals and letting her eat the crumbs. She's as good as a dog!)



11:50: Kids happily entertain themselves while I scrub, rinse, load, wipe, etc. They have formed a band, which sounds as if it consists of one asthmatic penny whistle and a jackhammer.




12:15: Have managed to tame kitchen while simultaneously ready a magazine featuring fabulous clothing, makeup, toiletries, etc that I cannot even dream of affording.

12:20: Kids try, and fail, to work out their own "sharing" issues.

12:23: I try, and fail, to not let it bother me.

12:25: Eve is dismissed for naptime. This is Spectacularly Unfair and she makes sure everyone on our street knows it.

12:27: Potty. Ready Camilla the Zebra. Sing the Ariel song.



12:35: Goodnight Evie. One down!

12:38: Decide Iris isn't quite ready for a nap yet. But I am. If I wait until it's convenient, it will never happen.

12:39: Bring baby to her room, which contains no legos, marbles, or Barbie shoes. Close door. Lay on floor. Go to sleep.

12:44: Phone rings. It's my sister. Surprisingly, I do feel a little better. She wants help organizing her room at my parents' house, which Devlin has dubbed "Messland" to give you some idea of the magnitude of this task. Happy to have the company of a rational adult, I prepare to come over.

12:45: Nurse baby, put down for nap.

12:50: Decide that the minimum amount of further effort required to achieve a baseline level of hygiene/feeling good about myself is to shave legs. Run bath in relaxing, zen-spa-like atmosphere that is my bathroom.



12:51: Fold load of laundry while bath is going.

1:30: Dressed, clean-ish, Devlin collected and girls asleep while David works. To Messland we go! Unfortunately for both of us, Devlin's friend next door (where he would clearly rather be) is away camping.



1:40: At Nana and Papa's. Dev eats yogurt, works puzzles, and juggles balloons. I provide moral support and marvel at the untouched state of Emily's old room since she moved out 6 years ago.







2:30: Em and I grow weary of organizing and leave Dev at Nana's to go shopping instead.

2:45: The Anthropologie market research people have me pegged down to a science, except they grossly overestimated my income. Lovely window shopping though.

3:00: Per David's text, Eve is awake. Per my text, she is to be placed in front of the television as I am not coming home until I absolutely have to. I'm being honest here, people.

3:45: Drop Em off, pick up Dev. Cry single tear for the Outfit That Was Not Purchased at The Store Which Must Not Be Named.

4:00: Home again, home again, 3 balloons in hand.

4:15: Iris awake. Nurse.

4:30: Fold yet more laundry (don't worry, there's plenty more where this came from). Watch HGTV.



4:31: Dev learning to read might just be the best thing that ever happened to me. They can entertain each other for hours like this.



4:50: Devlin and David go to Lowe's to pick something up. Eve requests "Mommy and Evie time", which I am happy to grant since it involved laying on the bed and lots of hugs.

5:00: Make bed. Yes, 5 pm.

5:05: I have a date tonight! I decide to "get ready" for real, which entails the obscenely self-indulgent actions of trying on multiple outfits before selecting one and touching up hair and makeup. It has almost certainly been months since this happened, and quite possibly years.

5:30: Big kids grow weary of waiting for me to make dinner. Arrive downstairs to find them making their own PB&Js. My job here is done!




5:35: Kids eat. I indulge in a Cherry Coke, two ibuprofen, and the latest issue of InStyle.

5:50: Make up for lame dinner moment with fruit parfaits for dessert. In case you are wondering, Eve actually does have clothes, she just prefers not to wear them. And I can't say that I blame her. It's over 110 all week here and I didn't have to wear clothes I wouldn't.



6:05: Clean up dinner. I think I must spend half my life either planning meals, preparing them, or putting my house back together when they're over. GAH.

6:15: My sister arrives to babysit. The end is near!

6:25: Iris nursed and in bed. Yes, it's still light outside. No, she doesn't mind. Yes, she sleeps all night. This is not an accident.

6:35: Hopefully looking and feeling like two adults who still have interest in each other and the outside world, we leave the house for dinner and a concert.



Wow, I can't tell what is more exhausting - living it, or trying to blog it in an organized and moderately interesting fashion! I am DONE, folks. That's my day. I would love to read a similar post from any of my fanatical followers, but fair warning - it's quite an undertaking!

Good night all. Tomorrow is another day.

Comments (7)

loved every clever word.

I'm taking on the tast. Monday, to be read on Wednesday.

Great post. Thanks for your effort. Loved the pictures.

Your clean floors are incredible. Your blue rug's ability to stay still is remarkable. We don't have rugs in our home because they exacerbate my OCD.

This was inspiring. I may copy Renee and try it myself...

What a happy day! I love little Miss Iris. She is such a show stealer with that big grin! She knows just how to win a heart! Thanks for letting me be part of your day-in-the-life. I love getting to spend so much time with all of you!
XOXOXO

Emily

Impressive blogging here, and fun to "see" somebody else's day in action! Maybe one day I'll get there myself. Don't hold your breath.