How my blog got its name

Posted by The Wizzle | Posted on Thursday, February 25, 2010 at 9:37 PM

4

So, my blog used to be called Redheaded Stepchild. An old boyfriend of mine used to jokingly refer to me as such, and I thought it meshed nicely with my chosen URL. (Is that what the thing in the address bar at the top of the page is called? Just kidding. I think.)

I wasn't sure if I would keep up blogging. I do not possess a great deal of follow through, as we know, and so I just chose something for my title and threw it up there on the big bad web. As the months went by, I decided blogging was - intermittently - for me, and I upgraded from the Blogger standard color scheme, and I chose a new name.

My blog's current name is from one of my favorite poems by one of my favorite poets. It is a work that resonated very strongly with me when I was younger, and although I'm in a different place in my life now I still find so much of myself in it. I always thought the first line in itself was a good, very brief, introduction to my little version of the world, and so that became my new calling card.

o sweet spontaneous
earth how often have
the
doting

fingers of
prurient philosophers pinched
and
poked

thee
, has the naughty thumb
of science prodded
thy

beauty . how
often have religions taken
thee upon their scraggy knees
squeezing and

buffeting thee that thou mightest conceive
gods
(but
true

to the incomparable
couch of death thy
rhythmic
lover

thou answerest


them only with

spring)

ee cummings


This is one of many poems that are part of my past, part of my life story so far. I'm not exactly sure of the work that I feel best encapsulates my current stage in life; I'm currently in the market, as it were, for a new anthem. It's a search that I thoroughly enjoy. Few things are more exhilarating for me than opening a new book, watching a new film, and finding a line or two that ring so perfectly true that I never forget them.

So, now you know where it came from, and I guess you can all be watching along with me, waiting for it to change again.

Because you know its bound to.

Comments (4)

that's pretty deep.

You've always had exquisite taste in literature, one Ive always admired. I think this post should be a tag: post your favorite poem! I did it a while back but I have lots more I can share. Love you!

What the heck?! Why are we so alike? I was OBSESSED with e e cummings in high school. Have bunches of his poetry books. Still love him. He put words to what goes on in my brain. Just perfect. No wonder Emily befriended me! I just reminded her of you! Right Em?

I just realized that sounded like I was pinning myself with having exquisite taste in literature, haha. I don't actually think that.