Fish out of water

Posted by The Wizzle | Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2010 at 1:25 PM

6

Sometimes, I feel really strange being the mother of two girls.



I was always a tomboy. I played soccer, I climbed trees. I danced, and I guess that's girly, but I never liked pink, or having my hair done, or wearing mascara. And big sparkly rhinestones and jangling bracelets totally blow your cover when you're trying to sneak up on a horny toad in the woods.

But Eve wanted to dance. She wanted to be a ballerina. She begged and begged, and I signed her up. Ballet class feels difference than it did when I was dancing, even at the same studio. Maybe the emphasis is different in the 3-5 year old combo class, but there's a lot less focus and reverence for the art form, and a lot more shouting, Chippettes music, and shaking one's bedazzled fanny.

I should clarify. I don't think Eve feels out of place in her class. But I do. I don't think lipstick, a tube top, and ruffled hot pants are suitable everyday attire for a preschooler. Very little of my disposable income goes toward items featuring zebra print, 4-inch spangled belt buckles, or feather boas - definitely not all at the same time. I enjoy many varied activities above and beyond watching my daughter dance through the window and comparing her, silently and otherwise, to the girls around her. I came to this studio because I thought it would be the best start for Eve's classical dance education, not because I thought it would give her a leg up on the kiddie beauty pageant circuit, or because it was in the neighborhood that I deemed to contain the highest ratio of well-off, insulated, uppity People Like Me.

Sigh.

I guess this is a little bit a post for some adorable photos of Eve in her costume, and mostly about me venting on Mesa in general and "dance parents" in particular. Suffice it to say that Eve has requested to take a break from dancing until she is a little older, and I am more than happy to oblige. In a couple of years, we'll try again. Somewhere else.

But doesn't she look just darling?

Comments (6)

She really is darling...but based on your description of the place, I wouldn't have even lasted long enough to make the recital! Eek. Where's the studio for the sweats-clad mamas who think a pony tail and chapstick are high fashion? I'll meet you there (not that I think that's YOUR style, but I do think we'd both be far more comfy in such locale...) :)

Eh. I have been gritting my teeth and trying to teach us both a lesson - to finish what we start!

I'm probably being too harsh. And I think stage mothers, in general, have these tendencies, so I may encounter it anywhere I go. But I'm not paying good money for the privilege of stressing over the recital schedule and spending an hour a week trying to be civil to people with whom I have very little in common.

Makes me wonder what my parents put up with that they'd rather not have throughout my years of intensive dancing!

I'm with you 110%.

She's the most beautiful girl in that photo. Not to compare, but its obvious. You cannot improve on the natural beauty of a little girl. I'm all for celebrating that. There will be plenty of time for hairspray and lipstick later. Or at least lipstick.

I am SO disappointed this has even been an issue for you. I know a lot of parents who've complained about this--about the dance studios being all about basically everything BUT dancing, whether it's costumes, competitions, tuitions, fund-raising, whatever. What happened to dancing for the sake and joy of dancing??!! Grrr.

I'm glad she'll get to try again later. And hope this proves to be a happy lesson in the end.

And she does look so stinkin' adorable!

I haven't read your blog in while....and it actually took me awhile to figure out where to post. But I love your little girls-they are so adorable in their dance costumes and your jewelery. Anways, if you come to Utah, I'd love to see you, and then you can teach me how to use the sling:)

I think Eve is absolutely wonderful. She will always hold a special place in my heart.