Just...blahblahblah

Posted by The Wizzle | Posted on Saturday, July 17, 2010 at 8:18 PM

6

I knew last week would be busy, because we were "on vacation". I knew it would be cray when we got home, because of the state in which I left my house and the mountains of dirty laundry etc. that are always part of coming back. But I had no idea how crazy it would be. And now that I'm home, I'm trying to figure out where to start blogging again and it's building up in my mind: nothing will be funny enough, or dramatic enough, or perfectly encapsulate my experience and entertain my readers, so screw it - I'm just going to write some stuff down and then the seal will be broken, so to speak, and everyone can get on with their lives.

The short version is, we had a lovely time in Utah. We made lots of memories, not all of them strictly good ones, and we are so grateful to be home, safe and sound.

Summary of trip:

1. Staying with friends beats the heck out of a hotel, even if you do have to make your own bed. We put the kids down and stayed up late every night playing board games, because we are awesome and that is what we like to do. If I told you our favorite game on this trip concerned controlling the spread of an unnamed infectious disease around the globe, would you believe me? If that's not enough, I'll publicize my geekiness to a previously unknown degree: we ordered said game, via Amazon, and had it *overnighted* to our hosts' house in Bountiful so we could have our own copy. There, you should all feel lots better about yourselves.

2. Utah has nicer weather than Arizona, at least every time we go. Yes, you don't have to shovel sunshine, I can hear my dad saying in my ear. But I'm telling you, it was delightful. And they have much nicer mountains. And trees. And old buildings. I like Utah.

Parts, anyway.

3. Did you know you can set off fireworks on the Fourth of July in Utah? Well, you can. It was pretty cool. This little desert rat had never seen them up close before, seeing as everything here is mostly on fire in the summer even on a good day, and Devlin was in rapturous ecstasy over every little spark.



4. I can't wait until all my kids are big enough to go on real roller coasters! I know, parenthood entails a great deal of self-sacrifice, but doggone it - Lagoon has a lot of sweet coasters and all I got to go on was the log flume. I didn't even get to ride the Puff the Tiny Dragon coaster - Eve rode and I watched. With Iris. I think she and I were both pretty bitter about that.



5. How lucky are my kids to have 5 great-grandparents? This is Iris with David's maternal grandfather. Someone on Facebook wanted to know how old he was, and congratulated me on my good genes. He is 85, and they are David's good genes. My family don't tend to make it to 85, and we definitely don't look this good if we do!



6. See Iris's nose in all these pictures? Notice how half of it seems to be missing? It's a good thing for her that the mother bear instinct is more powerful than natural selection, because left to her own devices she would have been dead at least three times this week. She ran out of church on Sunday and tumbled face-first down the sloping sidewalk. Just as her nose was beginning to heal, she fell down a flight of stairs and tore it open again.



And that was before she came down with an aggressive staph infection and was hospitalized upon our return home.



She had surgery, under general anesthesia, to drain an abscess on her leg (incidentally, I just realized that I have been spelling "abscess" wrong all week. I am deeply embarrassed about this. I thought it was just my phone spell-check sucking again). She is fine. She will be fine. But hippie or not, I have been going to town with the bleach solution this week - so it's safe to come help me paint my ceilings.

If you want.

Comments (6)

I was curious about what happened to poor Iris. Poor little girl! Good mom instincts! In my humble but correct opinion you need a vacation from vacation (at least a day) So laundry and all that jazz might just have to be patient. :)

That wasn't blahblahblah...it was an excellent summary! Well done.

I, too, am very glad you're home safe and sound!

Oooh Oooh! Me me! I want to help come paint your ceilings!! Can it wait three months? No? Well, I may have to finagle my way down there a little sooner. Wouldn't I love that!!

I'm glad you're all home safe, if not quite sound yet. I'm with Cammy, things and chores can wait, as long as the people tending to them are all well and happy. I love you sweet sister. Miss you already!

Great post and it reminded me of my childhood in Utah. I once lit my flip flop on fire with a sparkler in Ogden. I was 9. Luckily I escaped mostly unscathed. I also loved Lagoon. Good times and great post. Glad you are all safe too.

It was so great to be able to spend a little time with you, David and your darling children. I've missed getting to know my great nieces and nephews that live so far away. I hope it won't be too long until we see you again....

Wow, what a vacation, and nothing beats a surprise hospital trip waiting for you when you got home. Yuck! I am so glad she is doing better though. And I have to comment about the whole firework thing. I have lived in Utah for - well, too many years now - and simple sparklers still scare me half to death. It's hard to shake that Arizona mentality that fireworks are deathly dangerous. It's all money down the drain, but Pioneer day here we come! :)