First Day of School (for somebody)

Posted by The Wizzle | Posted on Monday, August 16, 2010 at 8:44 PM

5

School is in session.

I was dreading this summer, to be honest. Historically, I have not had my finest times as a parent and a person when all the kids are home with me, all day, every day. I have a tendency to stress out, yell loudly and often, and generally lose my cool on a regular basis. I was mentally prepared for 2 months of survival mode, of low expectations and lots and lots of guilt.

But it was actually pretty awesome. We went swimming almost every day. We went on not one, but two road trips. We became even better acquainted with the library. We made our new house our new home.

Devlin and Eve, especially, became great friends. Maybe it's just that they had to present a united front against Iris, who wants to be a Big Kid really, really badly, and is continually all up in everyone's business. Maybe it's my patented, beloved "benign neglect" parenting style. Maybe it's an act of God, to preserve their lives and my sanity. But when those two are home together now, they play together. I can't get them apart. That doesn't mean they always get along, or even get along most of the time. They spend a lot of time "working things out", loudly. But I am satisfied that they are friends. And if that was the only good thing that had come out of this summer, I would be very happy indeed.



Devlin started school last week, although I neglected to document the event until this afternoon. We managed to procure him shirts featuring robots, an astronaut, a pirate ship, and a veritable rainbow of colors. He proclaims his school wardrobe to be "fancy", and especially enjoys pairing these spectacularly obnoxious shorts with his new shirts.



The mother bear in me is delighted to report that he is in very good hands at our local public elementary school. He is proving himself to be not only very bright, but well-liked and a bit of a class clown, in spite of being the youngest. His teacher is a godsend and he is thrilled with his new class. He is already learning cursive and I think he is going to grow by absolute leaps and bounds.



Eve met her preschool teacher today, and her first official day is tomorrow. I don't know what she will learn this year in the Discovery Club, but listening in on her (highly) imaginative solo play today I picked up a couple of new things:

(looking at herself in the mirror) "The waist of your head and your body is your neck".

(playing with seven Barbies under the kitchen table) "This is Odette. That one is Odette too. They are all named Odette. And the horse is Odette".



She's a smart girl. She's officially in school, and out of the little girls' section at Target. I don't know what is happening to my life.

Although I think she wishes she was headed off into the cruel world with her siblings, at least I still have this little meatball to keep me company. I think we'll have some good times this year.

Comments (5)

meatball is my new favorite nick name for a child.

these pictures are PRECIOUS!

That just made me happy. Nice post, Rachel!

You have such a way of capturing your children in photos. So glad Dev's got a "fancy" wardrobe and is liking his new school. I love Evie's imagination. So darling, all of them. Love you!!!!

I was going to say what Angie said... I love it! and your kids are so adorable!

Do you teach courses on your "benign neglect" method of parenting? 'Cause I've got a 4-year-old here who wants my presence/attention fairly constantly, and I could really use a break... :)