In the box

Posted by The Wizzle | Posted on Sunday, August 1, 2010 at 8:26 PM

4

We are embarking on yet another adventure tomorrow.

The kids and I are driving to California to visit my sister, the beach, and the Mouse House. Our husbands are both out of town on business this week, and the return to school is looming large. So we're making one last break for it. Between the free Disney tickets, crashing on the floor at my sister's apartment, and planning lots and lots and lots of sack lunches, this is shaping up to be the cheapest vacation in the history of vacations.

I've been packing all day, and I think I've decided that maybe my favorite part of travelling with my children is making them their little homes away from home. I pack a bag for each of them in the car, full of some of their favorite things to keep them (somewhat) busy, happy, and quiet on the long drive. I bring their "special blankets", their favorite stuffed sleeping buddies, and snacks galore: baby carrots by the pound for Devlin, clementines for Eve, and NO RAISINS for Iris.

I love doing this. I just distill the essence of each child into what can fit into a backpack and the pocket on the back of the seat in front of them. It makes me inexplicably happy to see all their things waiting for them on their seats, undisturbed, quiet, with everything good still ahead of us. I love their wildly individual selves, and I love imagining the adventures we will have - tomorrow, and for the rest of our lives.

Happy trails, folks.

Comments (4)

oooh...good luck! can't wait for the post-trip re-cap.

Hope it all goes well. Come back soon!

YYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!! SO, SO excited for you to come! I'm happy to see this post to assure myself nothing has foiled the pre-determined plan. It will be a week of beautiful claustrophobic chaos and I can't wait!!!

I know I commented on your facebook, but totally so jealous! You guys will have a blast! And bless you, bless you my friend. I marvel - traveling alone. You are amazing!