Pizza pizza

Posted by The Wizzle | Posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2010 at 8:52 PM

2

So, I've made this a couple of times in the last week (practice makes perfect, you know) and everyone in my house loves it. A few people have asked for the recipes, so here they are. I will give the recipe as in the book, which uses store-bought flatbread, and I will include the recipe I used to make my own at the end.

Turkish-Style Lamb Pizza (from America's Test Kitchen 30-Minute Suppers, Summer 2010 - probably my favorite cookbook series!)

2 T extra virgin olive oil
2 8x11 pieces lavash bread (if you buy this, the recipe is 30 minutes. If you make it, then it's more like 2 hours including the salad)
1 pound ground lamb (or ground beef, that's what I used)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 t ground cinnamon
1/2 t red pepper flakes
1 T tomato paste
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
salt and pepper
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/4 toasted pine nuts
chopped fresh parsley

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 475. Brush oil over both sides of each lavash. TRansfer to baking sheet and bake until golden, about 5 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, book lamb in a large skillet over med-high heat until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Drain meat and remove from skillet, leaving 2 T rendered fat in skillet. Add onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, cinnamon, pepper flakes, and tomato paste and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add diced tomatoes and return lamb to skillet. Cook mixture until liquid evaporates, about 2 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.

3. Spread lamb mixture on each toasted lavash. Sprinkle with cheese and pine nuts. Bake until cheese is warmed through, about 5 minutes. Top with parsley if desired and serve. Serves 4.

Cucumber Tzatziki-type salad:

Whisk 1 cup plain yogurt, 2 T extra virgin olive oil, 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint (I have this growing in my front flower bed, how lucky am I?!), and 2 minced garlic cloves. Peel, halve lengthwise, seed, and thinly slice 3 medium cucumbers. Toss cucumbers with dressing and salt and pepper to taste.

Homemade lavash, if you are a masochist or on a budget like me. This recipe makes 4 big pieces, so you can either cut it in half, or what I did was make it as-is and use one piece for the pizza (it's bigger that the original recipe called for so all the topping fit right on it). I buttered another piece and then topped it with cinnamon sugar for dessert, and that left me with 2 plain pieces left over for snacks later this week. Even if you halved this recipe, you will have enough to make a pizza piece and a dessert piece.

1 cup warm water (105-110 degrees i.e, barely warm baby bath temp)

1 package of dry yeast (1 teaspoon if you buy this in bulk)

1/4 cup (1/2-stick) of salted butter (regular table butter), melted and cooled

1-1/2 teaspoons of salt

1 teaspoon of sugar

3-1/4 to 3-3/4 cups of unsifted flour (all-purpose or bread flour)

Measure warm water into a large bowl. Sprinkle yeast on top of water. Stir until dissolved. Add cooled melted butter, salt, sugar and 2 cups of the flour. Beat until smooth. Add more flour to make a stiff dough. Turn out on lightly floured board. Knead until smooth and elastic. (may take 8 to 10 minutes) Place in greased pottery or glass bowl turning to greased side up. Cover lightly and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size (an hour or so). Punch down and divide into 4 parts. Roll each ball and stretch to 10x14 inch sheets. Place on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes to fully cook - or, for the pizza crust, cook 10 minutes or so until partially done, then remove and spread topping on. Bake for another 5-10 minutes, then remove and top with parsley if you want.

What I did was to make the lavash dough, then make the cucumber salad while it was rising. Then I rolled it out and made the lamb topping while it was resting and baking partway. Then I finished it off.

* * * * * * * * *

This is a fun meal, and I feel pretty frickin' smart having an entree, a salad, and a dessert that all "go" together. That may never have happened before, I'm not sure. If you don't make the flatbread, you could totally do this all in half an hour. And then it wouldn't make such a spectacular mess in your kitchen. But I don't know, maybe the homemade lavash is really *that* much better! I got the recipe for it from my ex-boyfriend's mother, with whom I am still in contact through a string of bizarre coincidences. True story.

So, enjoy. (The Pioneer Woman can have this food-blogging business, by the way. Between making the dang dinner, cleaning it up, and blogging it I think I've spent about 4 hours today so I've had about all I can handle. I hope to be back with my normal, sassy, self-deprecating blog that you've come to know and love tomorrow.) Good night, chefs!

Comments (2)

ooo...i'm glad your fam loved what you made tonight! {looks tasty.}

it was just me & the girlies tonight & 3 out of 3 hated what i made. haha.

gooooo rachel!

Looks delicious! I want to try it!!