Everything I need to know that I didn't learn in high school

Posted by The Wizzle | Posted on Friday, October 22, 2010 at 9:34 PM

5

I just got back from my alma mater's homecoming football game, and I just have a few observations:

1. Cheerleaders aren't nearly as intimidating as I remember from when I was a smart, skinny choir nerd in a black velvet cape and combat boots. They're kind of little, and sparkly, and...just...girls in ponytails. How about that?

2. My husband's little sister, Holly, rocks. Her junior class float (that she basically built with her family) was the best, and it totally won, and she totally deserved it. Go Holly!

3. I find it incredibly amusing that the Beatles, who set many a parents' hands to wringing a few generations ago (something about hell, and a handbasket, and "kids these days") were the basis of the theme for this year's festivities. The homecoming royalty nominees, in between stating their plans for college, a mission for their church, and 5 fat babies, all gave their favorite Beatles song as part of their introduction speech. I can't wait until my kids are in high school and the Valedictorian waxes poetic about Lady Gaga.

4. My two older children, at ages 4 and 7, having participated in the halftime proceedings tonight, have just officially reached a higher social standing at Mesa High than I ever did. They still wear Pull-Ups and happily trot off to school with jam on their faces, and they are cooler than me. Awesome.

5. Mesa High was a great school. It's a very mixed demographic bag, and it's not the fanciest, but it's the oldest has the most spirit and mostly the Mormons and the Mexicans and the cowboys and the stoners really do all get along. When we moved a few months ago, we moved into the Mountain View boundaries, and I'm really worried that it's going to be a bunch of overprivileged white kids (oh wait - like my kids) all talking smack about the purple and gold losers across town. I never gave two hoots about the rivalry when I was actually in high school, but I get meaner and less patient the older I get, and I'm not afraid to kick some Toro hiney if the situation presents itself.

6. I was a selfish, self-conscious, self-centered (notice a pattern there?) brat in high school, but I did have one thing straight: in my current time of life, I think I could do with a little less bill-paying, meal-planning, and housekeeping, and a little more making out under the bleachers. My husband, my high school sweetheart, is in the other room right now, multi-track-recording a Collective Soul song all by himself, and I have to say it's pretty damn hot.

Carry on, everybody. Carry on.

Comments (5)

Glad you enjoyed your trip down memory lane. Thanks for letting your kids participate! They were perfect!

my husband's in the next room eating del taco in a mexican zarape. {true story!} now that: is hot. :) haha.

great post. i love mesa high so much.

*but, {quoting granny} "i wouldn't go back for all the tea in china."

Such a great post.

Also, and I know you thought this, but why couldn't they have cool themes like that our year?

Nice Post. It's fun to reminisce on college and imagine going back as the person I am today instead of the one I was then. It would be such a better experience.

Um, I just have to say, that I live in Mt. View area too and it scares me. (sorry toro lovers)

And that I enjoyed this post. A lot.