The Girl and the Bard

Posted by The Wizzle | Posted on Wednesday, November 3, 2010 at 7:53 PM

5

When I was a little girl, I was a strange little girl.

Some of my favorite things were:

- reading the encyclopedia
- Chopin
- Cyrano de Bergerac (the play *and* the old black-and-white movie starring Jose Ferrer)
- Turandot
- my dad's medical textbooks

and Romeo and Juliet. I remembering mystifying more than one babysitter by insisting on it for a bedtime movie. I was embarrassed at how funny they thought it was. They laughed, and asked if I was sure, and so I sat under the kitchen table and watched my favorite story, over and over, where I didn't have to see their faces looking at me, questioning.

Because I was definitely sure.

I loved it, and I still love it, and I've loved it every moment in between. I know literature snobs say there is much better Shakespeare to be had, and I don't begrudge them their opinion. But for me, Shakespeare, passion, poetry, true love, and everything fine in this world begin and end in fair Verona.

Today, Eve sat next to me and we watched it for the first time.

And she adored it.

And I absolutely cannot wipe the stupid grin off my face.

Comments (5)

Eve was captivated. I'm afraid there is no going back. Maybe we should have eased her into tragedy and romance with a fairy tale or two. Or a Golden Book Nope, we dropped directly at the source. The words, the story, the passion, the wonder, the excitement, the tragedy. It never grows stale. The words are as thrilling now as they ever were. I hope she will find a lifetime of enjoyment reading this story.

Aw, that is awesome. It is so fun that Eve loves it as much as you do. You can share that forever.

That is so sweet!!! Love Romeo & Juliet! I feel the same adoration when Jovie will cuddle with me while watching House Hunters International! :)

Oh, for sure! I'm not-so-secretly delighted that she will snuggle up next to me for Say Yes To the Dress, too - it's not all high culture around here by any means!

That has got to be one of the sweetest pictures of a girl and her mother that ever there was. I love this. I love that you share this in common. It is pretty awesome to see.

P.S. I thought, for fun, I'd throw in that you also had a bug collection as a child. I remember a big, flat, block of styrofoam and the bugs that were so neatly pinned to it and labeled by species. Seems like you had that forever. But in all fairness, I kept a pile of rocks, ugly ones no less, which I claimed to call a collection in my left-bottom dresser drawer til I was certainly old enough to know better. To strangeness!! :)