Give Thanks

Posted by The Wizzle | Posted on Thursday, November 25, 2010 at 9:32 AM

2

I'm actually really looking forward to Thanksgiving this year.

Living in the same city as both my parents and my in-laws is truly a wonderful blessing, and I am very deeply grateful for it. But one of the downsides is spending holidays either running frantically back and forth from one house to another, trying to contribute to (and consume!) two holiday dinners, or else choosing sides and feeling guilty about not stopping in on the other family's festivities a mere 5 minutes away.

This year, I get to do the Dixon Thanksgiving today, and the Dalton Thanksgiving tomorrow. I'm a flexible kind of gal, and really however it works out is fine with me, but I'm excited to try it this way. So far, at 10:37 Thanksgiving morning, it already feels much more relaxed. The baby is down for an early nap, the big kids are making key lime pie with their daddy, and I'm getting ready to prep vegetables for roasting and plate the massive quantities of fruit demanded by dinner with 25 of my favorite people.



We made "thankful lists" this morning. I won't tell you who contributed what, but I will put them in order so you can see where our priorities evidently lie:

Bananas
Friends and family
Poofy Pancake
Health
Cousins
Cousins at Thanksgiving
Coloring
Daddy
Fruit
Fall weather
The minivan
Being nice
Our home
The library
Dresses
Money to buy Christmas presents for our cousins
Parents
Backyard toys
Swimming pool
Big tree in our backyard
Summer
Green grass
Music
Flowers
Living close to relatives
Dollies
Preschool
Mom
Devlin, Eve, and Iris

(I saved the best for last).

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. Maybe your days be peaceful, abundant, and full of the people who matter most.

Comments (2)

Happy Thanksgiving! I'm looking forward to your massive plates of food (and your company, of course).

Oh Rach, what a beautiful post. By the way, I think these pancakes would be in my list too! I found a cafe in london (in spitafields) where they serve them with maple syrup... just the american way! At least it's how i remember... Happy Thanksgiving - it's a beautiful holiday. Happy to see you soon, Chris