And now for something completely different

Posted by The Wizzle | Posted on Sunday, December 19, 2010 at 3:44 PM

5

Today is Wedding Dress Day in Dressember-land. And you know what? Why not?

I have a funny story about my wedding dress. At any given period in time, there is a "prevailing fashion" in wedding dresses (see: strapless, the last 5 years). When you're a Mormon girl, and require long sleeves and a high neckline for a temple wedding, the winds of fashion don't tend to blow people very far away from each other. When I got married in 2001, I knew I wanted something different than the "sparkly-white-t-shirt-affixed-to-a-white-ballgown-skirt" that was so popular then (probably still is - Mormons tend to be conservative in almost every possible way!)

But it was hard. So hard. I didn't fit in anywhere. Dresses designed for a temple wedding were boring, and dresses designed for fashion left me pulling and tugging and sure something was showing that wasn't supposed to be.

So I caved. I went to the bridal store at the mall that catered to modest brides, picked out something cute, and rang it up. There. Done. No more stress. On to centerpieces!

Only I knew it wasn't right. What I wanted was this.

Is that so much to ask?

Since I was engaged for over a year, I had plenty of time to stew over the dress I had purchased, and the more I thought about it the less I liked it. It wasn't me. It didn't say anything about me, or my life, or who I was. So I kept looking.

(My dad makes fun of me for this, but it is from him that I get the charming habit of continuing to search for the perfect *whatever* even after I have decided on and purchased one. We are never satisfied).

So I was searching eBay (for a wedding dress? who does that?) and I found a woman selling the service of making a wedding dress - the exact dress I was looking for - and because it was custom, she could alter the neckline to accommodate my requirements.

So I bought it.

I found a home for my other dress with a friend from high school, who looked radiant in it at her own wedding, and I was a fairy princess on my special day. I haven't worn, or even looked at, that dress for almost 10 years, but I figured today was as good a day as any.



It's not exactly what I would pick if I were getting married again tomorrow, but I think I did pretty darn good. I figure anyone who says they would choose the exact same wedding dress again 10 years on just isn't thinking about it hard enough!

I look a little different than I did back then (I didn't discover my "true" hairstyle until a few years later) and now I have an delightful entourage of small princess attendants following me everywhere I go, which I think greatly improves the overall look.

It's amazing what 10 years will do. I like myself so much more now than I did then. I know myself better. I know the world better. My life is fuller, happier, richer.

If the next 10 bring as much wisdom and joy and these years have, then I don't think I'll be sorry to see 40 at all.

Comments (5)

I *love* your dress, and I love that you didn't give up on getting it either. ^_^

I want to see an original photo of you 10 years ago in your dress :)

LOVE THE DRESS! And I too want to see a wedding picture!

Okay people, I am working on it. :)

Yea! Is it possible this dress looks better on you now than it did 10 years ago? I don't know how that could be possible. I don't know that anyone in history has managed to do that!

You look radiant! I love your style and I love that you like who you are. That is a trait I wish more of us would embrace. Really embrace.