Yesterday

Posted by The Wizzle | Posted on Thursday, December 2, 2010 at 7:04 AM

8

Yesterday, David was trolling the craigslist musical instruments section, as both of us are wont to do. The first ad, right at the top of the page, said "free grand piano".

He picked up the phone, expecting I don't know what. Best case: Nigerian scam artist. Worst case: elaborate scheme to lure unsuspecting young musicians into a drug cartel, a polygamist cult, or the Mafia.

It was neither. Just a property manager with a renter who had left a piano at one of her houses, and wanted it to become the problem of the first person willing to haul it away.

David had been the first caller.

So we dropped Eve at school, drove 60 miles to Peoria as fast as we could, and decided (after some test Chopin and a brief consultation with Professor Google) that the little piano's many problems were issues we could fix or live with. We rescued Iris from the empty bedroom in which she had locked herself and sped homeward, making dozens of calls to piano movers, tuners, and repairmen.

It seemed like a dream, but the mover is going to be here in 10 minutes, and we have rearranged our house to accommodate a Kimball baby grand that appears to have been forgotten about by its owners some time in the 1970's.

It's dirty, scratched, dinged up, and painfully out of tune, but it was free, it's ours, and it's going to lead a much more dignified life from here on out.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Comments (8)

I'm so excited for you guys! Congrats on your new acquisition.

I feel like high-fiving you. Please promise you will throw a Christmas Party (to which I'd be invited?) and sing carols around it. I NEED this to happen at some point in my life. :)

Nothing adds more character to a home than an untuned piano.

I'm very happy for you! I'm sure you will be the best piano owners ever. Congratulations!

Score! I can't wait to see pictures! :)

You have got to be kidding me! Amazing! Congrats! Now that is the great find of the century! I hope to hear it played someday...but in the meantime...pictures please. :)

Well color me jealous! What a lovely treat to help (hopefully) make up for the crappy day before. Can't wait to see it in its new home!

How exciting! I love how musical you guys are.

Oh I hope it can be fixed so you really enjoy it! I'm so excited for you. What a great addition to your home.