30-day blog challenge

Posted by The Wizzle | Posted on Monday, February 7, 2011 at 9:51 PM

11

A friend of mine gave me a little idea for my blog this month, and I think I'm going to go ahead and do it. I hope you don't mind.

Day #1: A recent picture of yourself and 15 interesting facts about you

Well, the biggest challenge here is finding 15 things I haven't already shared somewhere on the internets. I love questionnaires like this, and I've been blogging for quite awhile now, so surely everything interesting about me must already be part of the public record, no?

I'll start with a recent photo. I had two taken today, as a matter of fact. Right side up:



And upside down:



1. I love pedicures (see first photo. Big smiles? Post pedi.)

2. I love my sister (see also first photo.)

3. I love yoga (see second photo.) I didn't know that photo was being taken (because, you see, I am standing on my head and can only see the wall) but it's kind of fun, don't you think? My husband thinks I'm kind of a princess because it's all I want to do in the way of "working out", but you know what? I like it. The end. It's the only exercise I can bring myself to do with any regularity so I'm going to keep on doing it until someone invents something better. I haven't tried Zumba yet, so maybe this has already happened.

4. I did not shower in the time between the two photos were taken. That's right, folks - if you see me out and about, you can know at any given time that there is at least a 50% chance I didn't get a shower that day. There just isn't time to work out, put on makeup, juice oranges, supervise homework, chauffeur children, make dinner, clean bathrooms, and tend one's blog AND one's husband all in the same 24-hour period. Something's got to give. Lots of times, it is a shower. I'm just sayin'.

5. Let's see, now I've run out of "interesting facts" I can glean directly from the pictures. Does this mean I have to start thinking now?

6. I am one of those people who is never finished decorating their home. Luckily, we moved into a house that had hardly been touched since the mid 1970's so I have plenty to keep me busy, and I am thoroughly enjoying every minute. Want to get me going? Ask me about my plans for the kitchen.

7. I just heard one of the Top Gear boys use the phrase "Crikey Moses!" and I think it might be my new favorite. Watch for me using it, probably tomorrow, and every day after that.

8. I like going out to dinner and to movies by myself.

9. I used to hate ironing, and I never did it. Now I've discovered that it can be done while watching television completely guilt-free and suddenly everything in my house is starched and pressed!

10. I still think the E-Trade talking baby commercials are hilarious. How can you not love that?

11. I am a night owl. My kids go to bed early, and I stay up late. This is not an accident. I am intentionally maximizing my quiet hours, when my children are peacefully sleeping. This is my #1 parenting strategy. I am confident that it is the main thing that has kept us all alive until this point!

12. I love eggs. Scrambled, poached, fried or hard boiled, deviled or Benedict, on a salad or a hamburger - I will eat them in a house, with a mouse, here, there, and everywhere.

13. I am a chronic optimist. I always think things will be easier, take less time, and cost less money than they actually do. However, David is a chronic pessimist so it usually works out.

14. I love reading about extreme locations: especially very remote, cold locations. Svalbard? Nunavut? The Northwest Passage? Check, check, and check. Ask me sometime about all the various degrees of polar night. I might just bore you to tears.

15. I have spent so long sitting here trying to think of something good for the last slot that the Suns game is over and my husband is starting to give me the hairy eyeball. And I love you guys, but I love him more. So that's it for me!

Check in tomorrow for day 2: the meaning behind my blog name.

Comments (11)

Whoa. Love the head stand. You are my new yoga guru. Oh teach me, dear yogi.
Loved reading this and am on the edge of my seat for tomorrows post!

Yes, the headstand is awesome. I saw it in person and it looks even cooler: calm as a summer's morning upside-down. That's a feat!

I love you, Rachel. I had so much fun this weekend. Thanks for playing!

I am impressed with the head stand. Seriously cool! And I love the idea of this challenge. Can't wait to see what today brings!

It always takes me forever to figure out how to comment on your blog. But I think I will remember. Kudos to the not showering every day. I don't either. Look at the bright side. Its easier on your hair, and it saves water. Also, I enjoy reading travel books. Is that kinda like reading about remote areas. Anyways, this is fun. I am glad you are doing it.

You should read "Born To Run" by Christopher McDougall. It might, MIGHT, inspire you to run, and it's about extreme things. Maybe you'd like it. I loved it.

Yes and I would love to know how to do a yoga headstand. Advice?

Running is really hard on my knees (I'm a youngish woman with old lady knees!), so I don't enjoy setting fitness goals like 5 or 10ks. That headstand looks like a perfect goal for me to set my sights on! I love yoga, but am mostly a beginner. How long did it take for you to master that?

Hey, maybe I'll make my next post a video showing how I do it!

I totally relate to #13. That is me and my husband in a nutshell. I had to show your post to him to prove that optimism is not crazy and there are others like me!

You always make me smile, Rach.

Are we gonna rock a Frocking Friday? ... I should probably do some laundry then. :)

#11 and 12, exactly that. I eat 2-3 eggs most days. And we all go through 2 dozen of eggs in a week easy. And I often stay up till 2 a.m. or later. I hate myself in the mornings for that, but another night comes, and I find it easily justifiable to stay up again.