Frocking Friday Times 2: Shake What Your Mama Gave You

Posted by The Wizzle | Posted on Friday, February 18, 2011 at 7:41 PM

7

I hate beauty pageants.

The goal of a beauty pageant, as far as I can tell, is to take a large diverse group of women, put them into a Cuisinart, and extrude them onto a conveyor belt all looking and acting exactly the same. Well, that's not quite true. You can be blonde, or brunet, or even "exotic" - just as long as you are tall, tan, 36-24-36, with long bouncy waves and a gleaming white cap on every tooth.

It doesn't matter how you get there, you just have to get there. Dye, bleach, bronze, chisel, inflate, inject.

Ladies, it is GARBAGE.

Whatever you have is awesome. Your freckles are awesome, your cowlicks are awesome, your crooked teeth are awesome. Your big feet, small boobs, pale skin, knobby knees, childbearing hips, and prominent ears are all awesome. The things that make you different are the things that make you interesting! Don't edit yourself. Don't equalize yourself.

Saturate. Enhance. Amplify.

There is a house down the street from mine that we noticed when we were scoping out this neighborhood. It was a graceful two-story, well-kept and tidy.

It was also mauve. There was just no other word for it. (Maybe "faded raspberry".)

We have often wondered about the owners: who are they? Did they choose the color, or inherit it? Are they saving up for a new, beige paint job? Are they embarrassed to be the owners of "the mauve house"?

Last week, I drove by one day and noticed a work truck parked in front of the mauve house. The windows were taped off and covered in plastic. A paint job was in the works. I texted David to tell him the news, and together we waited to see the fate of the mysterious dwelling. We speculated, we placed bets, we passed down their street more often than was strictly necessary.

2 days later, I drove by on the way to take my son to school. The truck was gone, the tape was down, and the house was no longer mauve.

It was PURPLE.

It was purple as an aubergine, and the beaming owner stood in the front yard, surveying her kingdom - wearing a purple tracksuit and shiny purple sneakers.

So in her honor, here's me last week on Frocking Friday, wearing a pencil skirt that definitely does *not* make my ample bottom half look more balanced, and no mascara. Because red eyelashes are beautiful too!



And here is this week: two real-life regular mama friends, who left our piles of dirty dishes and unfolded laundry to frock together at a picnic lunch. We're no beauty queens, but I think we look pretty amazing.



Girls of every size, shape, and color welcome here:



My legs are *not* my favorite feature. They curve where I wish they were slimmer, they're straight where I wish they curved, they're ghostly pale and that makes their abundant veins, freckles, and bruises all the more visible. But you know what? That's not going to stop me from rocking these awesome socks:



So give me your moles, your lumps, your untamed curls! What is your favorite "outside the box" feature on yourself, or who is your inspiration to let your freak flag fly? I love Tilda Swinton, myself, because she is colored just like me and she doesn't apologize one bit. Let's hear it for the real, un-Photoshopped us!

Comments (7)

Well, you know me. I'm all about real. And I happen to think your are fabulous while rockin' real.

Bravo Rachel, Bravo!! Well said, girl!!

Agreed Rachel. You do rock those socks. Which are very lovely. I've never been upset with noncurves, nope I've always struggled with an overabundance of curves. But an actress once said if you diet away your curves you diet away your femininity. Well said to her and to you, women are beautiful

I joke that the only curve on my body is my slouch. But it is nice to know that my boobs will never sag, and I can buy shirts from the kids' section (when my stomach is under control... which it is not right now... but I can like that too. Or at least like the donuts that got me here.)

Yay Rachel! I have never fit into any mold! I'm too loud and have too many opinions. I have curly hair, which I guess is out right now. And I never lost my baby weight even though my youngest is 4. It's impossible financially to keep up with all of the new trends and I like what I like even though someone tells me not to like it.

I love this post! And I love your picture of the temple! That is a place I ALWAYS feel beautiful, and a wonderful reminder that God made us just as we are. I've seen his work painted daily across the sky in the form of beautiful sunsets, and scattered at my feet in the form of colorful, fragrant flowers and I know: I was made by a master.

One of my beauty inspirations comes from a poem that claims to have been a favorite of Audrey Hepburn's, who is in my view a woman to be admired in many, many respects:

"For attractive lips, speak words of kindness.

For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people.

For a slim figure, share your food with the hungry.

For beautiful hair, let a child run his or her fingers through it once a day.

For poise, walk with the knowledge you'll never walk alone.

People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed; Never throw out anybody.

Remember, If you ever need a helping hand, you'll find one at the end of your arm.

As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands, one for helping yourself, the other for helping others.

The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman must be seen from in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides.

The beauty of a woman is not in a facial mole, but true beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It is the caring that she lovingly gives, the passion that she shows, and the beauty of a woman with passing years only grows!"

Audrey Hepburn is, indeed, a class act. It doesn't seem fair that someone could be so wise and kind and elegant and SO GORGEOUS!