How my blog got its name

Posted by The Wizzle | Posted on Tuesday, February 8, 2011 at 8:16 PM

5

(Here, I'll post the full list of the 30-day blog challenge so that anyone else who wants to can participate, and so that you guys can properly quiver with anticipation as I unveil each day's offerings):

Day 1-Recent picture of you and 15 interesting facts about yourself

Day 2-The meaning behind your Blog name

Day 3-A picture of you and your friends

Day 4-A habit that you wish you didn't have

Day 5-A picture of somewhere you've been to

Day 6-Favorite super hero and why

Day 7-A picture of someone/something that has the biggest impact on you

Day 8-Short term goals for this month and when you'll accomplish them

Day 9-Something you're proud of in the past few days

Day 10-Songs you listen to when you're bored, happy, sad, mad, hyped

Day 11-Another picture of you and your friends

Day 12-How you found out about blogger and why you have one

Day 13-A letter to someone who has hurt you recently

Day 14-A picture of you and your family

Day 15-Put your ipod or shuffle on-first 10 songs that play

Day 16-Another picture of yourself

Day 17-Someone you would want to switch lives with for one day and why

Day 18-Plans/dreams/goals you have

Day 19-Nicknames you have and why you have them

Day 20-Someone you see yourself marrying or being with in the future

Day 21-A picture of something that makes you happy

Day 22-What makes you different from everyone else

Day 23-Something you crave for a lot

Day 24-A letter to your parents

Day 25-What I would find in your bag

Day 26-What do you think about your friends

Day 27-Why you are doing this 30 day challenge

Day 28-A picture of you from last year and now-how have you changed?

Day 29-In this past month, what have you learned?

Day 30-Your favorite song

(We're on Day 2, in case you forgot already.)

So, have I ever told you how my blog got its name? As a matter of fact, I have. But a challenge is a challenge, and surely some of you are new - plus, it's a good story. (I'm not going to go back and read my previous entry - let's see exactly how boring I am by how closely I duplicate it!)

My blog was originally called "Redheaded Stepchild". One of my old boyfriends used to call me that, and I put this blog together in about one hot minute (like I do almost everything - slapdash is a good word) so I grabbed the first "redhead" phrase that came to mind. Later on, I went back and changed it to something more meaningful to me, because I do not, and never have, felt like a "redheaded stepchild".

So, I changed the name to the title of a poem I have always loved, a phrase snippet I have used elsewhere on the internet to define myself. The poem is by that wonderful crazy man, e. e. cummings:

 O sweet spontaneous
earth how often have
the
doting

fingers of
purient philosophers pinched
and
poked

thee
,has the naughty thumb
of science prodded
thy

beauty .how
oftn have religions taken
thee upon their scraggy knees
squeezing and

buffeting thee that thou mightest conceive
gods
(but
true

to the incomparable
couch of death thy
rhythmic
lover

thou answerest


them only with


spring)




I love the essence of this poem, as I receive it - that there is so much about this earth, and this life, that is unknown and unknowable. No discipline, so branch of learning, no mere human can ever put all the pieces together, and that is just the way I like it. I get no satisfaction from trying to figure out how the dinosaurs and Adam and Eve and fish walking out of the sea and the great flood and the Big Bang all line up, or don't line up. There's just no point. Whatever is, is. We learn, and perceive, and contextualize our experiences within the framework of our individual selves.

Some of us are primarily spiritual beings. Some people possess a scientific mind. Some are content to just observe, keep silent and trust that the things that are meant to be known will be known in their time. And it's all okay. We can all be experts in our own spheres, and yet reside within a whole that is more vast and benevolent and wonderful than any of us, or all of us put together.

It's like we're all doing a puzzle together, and you're working on the sailboat, and I'm going round and doing all the edges, and someone else is gathering all the sky pieces, and none of us has the box to know what it's all supposed to look like at the end.

Me? I love surprises.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.6

Comments (5)

Rachel! I love your posts at night...they are the perfect little distraction from going insane from homework. Thank you!

I love it, it was fun to be reminded about the name of your blog. I love that poem

Liked your puzzle analogy. Especially since I have a puzzle on the table in the living room that is challenging me. :) I do like puzzles!

I like the puzzle thought, too. I think so often about God's wisdom in what he withholds from us. There are times I've looked back on and thought: "yup, glad I didn't know that was coming.". Somehow we know what we need to and with patience, we ultimately learn the rest. One of the reasons I love old people so much--their experience and understanding of living.

ya, that puzzle-ness was profound. love it.