I bet you want to hear about my party

Posted by The Wizzle | Posted on Monday, February 21, 2011 at 8:01 PM

4

I've talked it up enough, right?

I bet you want pictures, too.

Unfortunately for you, I neglected to take a single, solitary photo at the party. Not one. I don't believe it either. No, I don't know why you put up with this from me.

Can I make it up to you by telling you that David and I spent literally the WHOLE DAY grooming the front and back yard, only to invoke the biggest windstorm we have had in recent memory which promptly blew in just as many leaves as we had managed to rake up? Or that it was unseasonably, unreasonably cold and rainy all afternoon, derailing my best attempts to plant two new hibiscus bushes in our front flower bed? We opted to cut our losses and focus the event around our roaring fireplace.

What if I told you that I got to catch up with about 30 of my most awesome friends and family, or that there were too many faces I missed seeing (does this mean I need to throw another one of these? Because I think I might need to wait at least a year)?

Would you be jealous if I told you that I received 1975-related gifts of house numbers, two lava lamps, brown-and-orange platform shoes, a paisley romper of truly dizzying color scheme, a period-correct map of London, and a microwave cookbook? (Did you know you can make cookies in the microwave? Apparently so. If I try it and it the result doesn't poison me, I'll let you know how it goes). I also received (and continue to receive) the gift of the friendship of more than one person born in that illustrious year!

And you will *definitely* be jealous when you hear that we gave away a copy each of Wish You Were Here, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, and the Pulitzer Prize-winning Humboldt's Gift, all brought to you courtesy of 1975. Renee, of the hilarious MommyBlogYay, was the winner of my giveaway and she also came to collect her winnings (and, presumably, for the pleasure of my company. Or maybe her winnings and chips and salsa.)

So, since I completely failed in my blogger duties, can I interest you in photos of some of the other home decor items that made their way here in preparation for the event? I thought so.

My little French table moved to the other side of the bookcase, and sitting on top is something I very rarely purchase: a purely decorative object.



Thank you, Ryan and Holly, for the birthday gift card! I took my sweet time picking something out with it, but the whole family agrees we have a winner. Spinning that little thing is strangely therapeutic, and it adds just the right amount of sparkle I'd say.

And why did I move it? Because I found this darling little chair to go on the other side, that's why:



I might reupholster it, but the naugahyde is original and I hate to tamper with it unless I really need to. What do you guys think?

(As a side note, I'm trying very hard to learn what all the buttons on my camera do, and I think I'm making some headway - but it turns out no amount of fiddling with the F-stop will do a lick of good when your toddler has destroyed a strategically placed shelf on your bookcase and it's in EVERY PICTURE. You see it now, don't you?)

And finally, you already saw it, but my beautiful birthday tablecloth has been in use since the party Saturday night - and it still looks great! There are a couple of sweet little orange fingerprints on there somewhere, but it turns out that a rainbow of colors and an intricate pattern go a long, long way to hiding the evidence of life's little messes. I spend a lot less time wiping down the table now - just brush off the crumbs and away we go. I'm leaving it on there as long as I can, then I am flipping that jacquard baby over to the reverse side and we'll just see how long I can go before it has to be washed. Any bets?



Blog challenge catch-up:

Day 10: Songs you listen to when you are bored: If I ever had an opportunity to be bored, which I will have to merely imagine for the present time, I might listen to Sufjan Stevens' Illinois. Something on there to keep anyone busy!

happy: I love Bjork's Telegram remix of Hyperballad. Just go listen to it.

sad: Radiohead's OK Computer or Charlotte Gainsbourg's 5:55. When Iris was briefly hospitalized last summer, that album was the only one I had on whatever portable electronic device I had with me when I stayed overnight with her. I had it on repeat all night to help us both calm down, and every time the nurses would come in to check on her I would wake up just enough to wonder where I was and this music would be playing. I loved it before, but now it is part of my consciousness in a very strange way.

hyped: Maroon 5. They make me want to boogie down.

Day 11: Another picture of me and my friends: Noelia Waldo, Jen Bass, and me, having a very special *wink wink* girl's night out a couple of years ago!



Day 12: How you found out about blogger and why you have one: Well, I think Blogger was what most people were using, and I don't know why I started it. Just an experiment, I guess. Now just look where it got me!

Day 13: A letter to someone who has hurt me recently: You know, I just don't feel like doing this one. How do you like that?

Day 14: A picture of you and your family: Thanksgiving 2010

Comments (4)

Yea! Fun updates. And of course we always like home decor pictures. I AM SO BUMMED YOU HAVE NO PICTURES OF YOUR PARTY! RACHEL! Lucky I love you and forgive you, but that makes me super sad. Sounds like it was a blast!

LOVE YOU!

Fun party. Sorry about the yardwork. I totally get that frustration.

it was fun to stop by the par-tay for a little bit. your house is darling/so you. love it.

It was pretty awesome salsa. Going to blog the giveaway as soon as Tessy and I can get together again so I have the deets on the winnings. I don't want to make a fool of myself, calling a scarf a scarf if it's really a curtain or something.