Her Black Frock

Posted by The Wizzle | Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2011 at 2:47 PM

7

Eve has broken her 4th commandment of clothing.

Tights. (It's 75 degrees today, but I'm not even going to touch that. Her style choices are not dictated by things so mundane as weather.)

How can this be? How does The Girl Who Will Not Be Constricted come to be at the park wearing a short velvet dress and tights?

Luckily, I learned my lesson last time, and today I bit my tongue and gently offered her a chance to let me into her world.

She is really into the book A Little Princess right now, and for her birthday recently I found her a copy of the PBS miniseries based on that novel that I loved so much when I was her age. Contrary to what you might expect, she is much more drawn to the Sara Crewe who has lost her fortune and spends her days as a maid of all work, living in a boarding school garret in London, than the resplendent Sara who has everything she ever wanted and a wardrobe to die for.

So this morning, when she emerged from her room wearing this little ensemble, I had a sneaking suspicion what was going on in her little blonde head. And I was right:

Miss Minchin, the cruel headmistress, makes Sara wear an old black frock that is too small as she works off her debts after her father dies and leaves her with nothing. She wears black tights because, well, she lives in London and it is cold there, and Eve felt that while the book did not mention sheepskin boots, they were the footwear she had that were most in keeping with the spirit of downtrodden Victorian former elegance she wanted to embody.

Because it is a fine Spring day, and I am in a good mood, I am choosing to revel in her vivid imagination and the burgeoning discovery of fine literature, and not follow the logical conclusion that if she is Sara...

...I must be the evil headmistress.

Comments (7)

To Eve, and her spirit!

Way to have a good attitude about being the evil headmistress.

Oh man, I love Eve. Like, really, really love her. She is so great at being a kid.

Is it horrible that I think you should take this opportunity to give her some extra chores? If she wants to be a little maid I'd let her!

I'm so bad.

Uh, you're not bad. That would be a wasted opportunity, and we don't like to waste free labor!

(She actually has been doing a lot of housework this week, as a consequence for a poor decision a few days ago, and I have caught her role-playing in the laundry room as she works more than once!)

Of course, I remember whenever I used to take a shower in my mom's shower as a child, I would use her scrub brushes and squeegees and pretend to be Cinderella...

Somehow, I can TOTALLY see my Maggie doing this when she's Eves age. Dramatical and imaginary conversations = awesome.

How'd the dress fair in the sand? hehe

I love and second Renee's comment--Eve IS SO good at being a kid! I LOVE her world. I may have said it once or twice before, but I want to live there. I love the insights you share from it. She is lucky to have a mother who is keen on and can appreciate her little imaginations. :)

I used to fill up a glass of grape juice (as "medicine") and sing "Spoonful of Sugar" as I drank it by spoonfuls.