Mamas, don't let your babies grow up to be Rennies

Posted by The Wizzle | Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2011 at 8:29 PM

10

If you don't know what a Rennie is, you are probably safe from becoming one. Here, I'll help you out:

rennie: noun A participant (performer or artisan) at a renaissance festival or fair.


I spent many a weekend as a teenager at the Renaissance Festival, trying to hook a dirty, bearded man in tights. What can I say? I've loved it ever since I was a kid, and I've been every year for the last 2 decades.

(Whoa. I just did the math on that, and sure enough, it is right. 2 decades ago, I was 10. I'm 30 now. I'm 30. Years old. Apparently I just need a minute to get my bearings here in Middle Age Land.)

Okay, I'm back.

This last weekend, I took my kids - and I notice I get much less male attention when I have a line of little ducklings trailing behind me, bodice or no bodice.



I'm okay with that.

You might have thought that Eve would have wanted to go as Juliet, or a princess, or a lady of the court, or something like that. I certainly would have put my money on one of those horses.

But you, and I, would be wrong. She wanted to be Robin Hood, with a dagger. A dagger with jewels. Robbing the rich to feed the poor:



Iris also selected a sword for her souvenir, which she has been wielding enthusiastically and erratically ever since:



Oh, these kids! I sure do love them.



They were all pretty equally enamored of Twig the fairy:



I guess if you were needing directions, this would be the guy to ask!



Just think, if only I had played my cards more carefully, I could have ended up married to one of these guys:



No, seriously, they were awesome. I love me some dirty hippies!

A monk and a bellydancer walk into a bar:



But the definite highlight of the day, and probably Devlin's life, was the moment when we were watching Dextre Tripp's Death-Defying Acrobatics and Juggling of Things On Fire:



And when he was standing on top of this ladder, in the middle of the stage, balanced against absolutely nothing, his hat fell off. He needed someone to pick it up and hand it to him, and he must have seen Devlin's pleading eyes boring into his very soul, silently begging, with every fiber of his scrawny being, to be chosen.

It worked.

I don't know exactly what Mr. Tripp had in mind, because I was spoon-feeding Iris broccoli cheese soup and trying to discourage Eve from taking someone's eye out with her wooden sword, but I'm guessing it was that he would bend down and Devlin would hand the hat up to him.

Devlin had another idea.

Before Dextre could say "liability insurance", Dev popped the hat on his head and scampered up the ladder:



Like, all the way to the top:



And then he JUMPED OFF:



And took a bow (and probably 5 years off Dextre's life):





He spent the rest of the day working on his acrobatic skills:



and has since proclaimed his intention to do this for a living. Can someone weigh in here and tell me if this is an upgrade from a stand up comedian?

Comments (10)

What a fantastic story about Dev! Definitely one to be told on the night before his wedding...

I look at these pictures and SO wish I had made it. Glad it was a fun time. Next year...

Oh, I wish I had been there to see that acrobatic demonstration! Huzzah!

That is seriously so awesome!! You are so great for bringing your kids to that! My friend had tickets but we just couldn't coordinate a time to go! Bummer. I remember going to one as a teenager and loved it (I'm pretty sure I was just a hippie without a bodice!)

What fun!

Looks like you all had a great time! How fun! Your kids are constantly surprising. Eve as Robin Hood? That's awesome! Always reinventing. I don't know what I'll do if she ever wakes up deciding on a favorite color other than yellow!! I love that they're each so different and unafraid to express themselves. Such confidence. It's wonderful.

Definitely an upgrade. But look: combine the two, and he's got quite the ticket!

I watched the ladder thing and thought nothing of it ... then I realized the ladder was NOT leaning on anything!!! *gasp!* wow.

"Faster than he could say 'liability insurance'..." LOL!

Great post! Looks like you had a marvelous time with the kids.

Devlin's so cute when he told those other jokes I can totally see it. He must be hanging out with Jacob [or the Moffat clan] a lot lately. ;) Maybe he and Emily's little cutie pie will be a double act? I'm being totally honest when I say, I can totally see that happening. ;) We love that place. and I LOVE your costume.

sorry about the grammar in that post- I've worked today with little sleep- hopefully, it made some sense.

Your son is awesome! I love that he just went for it and had no fear! I've never been to a renaissance fair but after this post, I really want to go to one now. It looks so much fun!