One letter

Posted by The Wizzle | Posted on Friday, March 25, 2011 at 11:17 PM

3

Dear David,

How are you doing? This is your wifey here. Haven't seen you for awhile, really. You went out of town on business the first week in March, and then you got an awesome new opportunity at work (for which we are both extremely grateful, I'm sure) and I went to California. Then I came home, and your poor hardworking head has been buried in Share Point or whatever it is ever since.

I am a pretty capable person, I think. I don't really think too much of you leaving me and the kids by ourselves for awhile, or of packing them all up without you, if it comes to that, and taking a little road trip. I'm an independent woman, darn it! I painted our house, and I can do bedtime alone no problem, and bake bread and get little people to church and keep the house tidy, and look not too shabby doing it too.

But it turns out that I really, really need you. Your absence is very keenly felt. I can't do everything by myself. Not even close. I feel like I'm holding things together less and less convincingly with every day that passes. Pretty soon, the seams that I have hot glued together are going to burst apart, and I'm not sure what is going to come flooding out. (But I think you might want to have a gas mask, just in case.)

This letter isn't to make you feel guilty. You're working so hard, so we can have the ability to take our kids to Disneyland, so I can buy little old pretty things off craigslist, so we can have a happy, secure life together. And I love you for it.

So take it as I mean it: just a little place card for you, when you get out from under your pile of new responsibilities, to come sit by me on the couch again and watch The Daily Show (neither of our laptops is invited to this party.) I love you, and I miss you, and I take back anything I may have ever wrongly said or thought about doing "all the work around here". Whatever you do, I miss it and I need your help and I want you back!

We have a performance Sunday morning, so I will see you then. From the soprano section. I will be wearing concert black. Look for me, and I might even blow you a kiss.

One ship passing another in the night,

The Wizzle

Comments (3)

Oh boy, I sure identify with this. I like how you said "I take back anything I may have ever wrongly said or thought about doing "all the work around here". Whatever you do, I miss it and I need your help and I want you back!" It's so easy to not realize how much our other half's do do, until it's suddenly not being done any more. I hope you get him back soon. This touching letter should do the trick. I think I'll change the names and give it to Greg if you don't mind. :)

Sweet.

Thinking of you two. Sounds like that cruise could not possibly get here soon enough.