Two of a Kind

Posted by The Wizzle | Posted on Tuesday, March 8, 2011 at 8:48 PM

6

I promised "after" pictures of my first adult attempt at foam curlers.

(You know, the first time I've used them since braiding one's hair, then sleeping on foam curlers was the best way to skip the crimper in the morning).

So it's been awhile.

I wasn't trying to duplicate the famed Iris Look, but that's kind of how it turned out. Eve's hair has a lot of curl in it to start with, and I read that I should use smaller curlers toward the front, and larger ones in the back. here's where that advice got us:





If it were up to her, we would have left her hair in exactly this state. She thought it was perfection. I, in my maternal wisdom, decided to comb through it with my fingers.



This, as you can see, was a Very Bad Idea.

By the time we sent her off to preschool, we had managed to corral it into something resembling Medusa With Flower:



And by the afternoon, it looked basically like her own hair on its wildest day, minus the two party-pooping pieces that decided to randomly secede from the Curly Union:



So, clearly I need more practice.

Or maybe I could just dust off the old crimper.

Comments (6)

You make me laugh, really, really hard...Medusa with flower? Hahaha.

I'm with Granny. You are quite the hoot. Where do you come up with this stuff?
Oh, and RF this weekend? game on.

Um, from age 3 to, like, 8 my mom made me wears those to bed every. Saturday. Night. So my hair was perfect for church the next morning.

Every Sunday I looked like eve in the picture after you combed through it with your fingers. & I have a few {or a lot of} pictures to prove it!
<3 the 90's

Aw, I think it turned out nice! No messy creases or anything! Once you comb it out and it's crazy, you can just kind of shape it back into the bigger curls. I think her hair in the picture with Iris is darling! So do you think you'll try again?

Tip: I don't know who says to do smaller curlers in the front and bigger ones in the back, but that's a load of crock if you ask me. When I curl my hair, in hot roller/overnight pillow curler fashion (wow, am I really admitting this on the web??) I use all the same size rollers and slightly reduce the amount of hair for the more stubborn, longer, and heavier pieces, which for me is in the back and underneath. So if you're using smaller curlers, I would recommend using them in those same stubborn spots. The idea is to counterbalance your hair's tendency and try to get it uniform all around (same principle for curling irons--if you have a piece of hair that just won't curl like the rest, you can try curling it with a smaller curling iron.) Have I thoroughly confused you now?

Next time, just take your hand and gently pull the top layers of her hair up and then let them fall and gently pulling the curls apart with your fingers (sans running them through) will make it look combed without being frizzy. Just my two cents. :)

Btw--this is Chassie, not Collin :) :)