Eating like kings

Posted by The Wizzle | Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2011 at 8:53 PM

5

There is $60 worth of Swiss chard in this bowl of soup.



That's right.

Because the garden that I so lovingly planted, at press time, looks as if it has produced exactly two plants that will yield a "harvest". They are both rainbow chard plants, and while I had high hopes for tomatoes, squash, zucchini, peppers, herbs, pumpkins and watermelon, if this is all I get then I will eat it, love it, and hope for better results next time!

I have this tendency -

(ask David, it's one of his very, very favorite things about me *wink wink*)

- to just jump into things that sound fun to me, regardless of whether I know the first thing about them.

I have wanted a garden for years, and now I have lots of room so I knew it was time for action. If you never try, you never fail, and you never learn!

I have now definitely tried, mostly failed, and I don't know if I've learned anything (how the devil do you tell the difference between overwatered plants and underwatered plants? they both die, right?) but the hard work of preparing the soil is done so I'll just keep planting seeds and we'll all have to wait and see what happens.

There are a few more chard leaves out there, almost big enough to cut, so with my next batch the price per serving will go down to a mere $30!

Hey, it is organic.

Comments (5)

I am the worst at growing things. To put things in perspective, I got VERY excited that my desert flowers didn't die in the first week. They waited until the second week to wither.

I wish you so much luck on your garden endeavors. It's going to happen EVENTUALLY, right?

Yeah, I have historically been really excellent at inadvertently killing things that used to be alive. Over the last few years, I have experimented with house plants, bulbs, and herbs, and this year I just jumped in and, well, haven't *quite* drowned.

That soup looks divine.

Congrats, Rachel!

With all you'd planted, I can see how you'd be hoping for more, but you are eating a vegetable from YOUR VERY OWN garden! That is pretty cool!

Looks delicious. I'm feeling a little dumb that I don't even know what "chard" is, let alone how to cook it. But I love your comments about trying new things. I'm going to use it in a RS lesson I'm giving this week about education. Thanks! :)