Happy Mother's Day, Wizzle-style

Posted by The Wizzle | Posted on Monday, May 9, 2011 at 7:53 PM

7

Yesterday was lovely.

I didn't make any meals, or clean up any meals, and I got a lovely nap with Iris snuggled in her favorite blanket on my lap. I had one in a long string of days in which being a mother felt gratifying, satisfying, and pretty generally wonderful.



(Then today, it was back to reality.)

But that's okay. It's just part of the deal, and when I say that I wouldn't trade my choice to be a full-time mother for anything, literally anything in the world, it is because I mean it from the bottom of my heart.

(Well, actually, I saw my first episode of Bethenny Ever After this morning, on the treadmill, and I think I would pretty happily accept being a full-time mother with the added benefits of a hairdresser, makeup artist, and jewelry stylist who all make house calls, and a nanny on retainer. But other than that, I'm good.)

So, in honor of Mother's Day, and my hilarious children, I give you Devlin's answers to the "How Well Do You Know Your Mother?" survey from his second grade class - and my commentary.

* * * * *

What is my mom's favorite color? Purple. (This was easy. Purple has been my favorite color since I could say "purple").

What is my mom's favorite food? Costco products. (Wow, this is already getting weird. Why don't you just come right out and say "she eats whatever is available in bulk?")

What does my mom love to do? Go to the gym. (All right, he made up some ground with that one. We'll start you back at zero, kid.)

If my mom had $100, what would she buy? A treadmill. (This is just silly. Why would I buy a treadmill when the whole point of going to the gym is to get childcare for an hour?)

What is my mom's job? Breast-feeding class. (You tell 'em!)

What is my mom's favorite candy bar? Twix. (At least he has the most important information in order - although I never say no to peanut butter cups either.)

How old is my mom? 30. (It's true. I don't mind.)

When is my mom's birthday? 2/14/1981 (Math skillz, he haz them.)

What is one of my mom's pet peeves? Running in the house. (Poor child must have run out of room. So many to choose from.)

How tall is my mom? 6 ft. 1 in. (Errrrrrr, I think you must be thinking of "how tall is my dad?")

How much does my mom weigh? 180 pounds. (If I were actually 6 foot 1, this would be a lovely answer.)

What is my mom's favorite book? Harry Potter. (Close enough. It's as good as anything. I hate picking favorites though.)

What is my mom's favorite movie? Harry Potter. (Negative. You can't love the books and the movies, in my opinion. I love the books; I watch the movies.)

What are my mom's favorite pizza toppings? Sausage and onions. (Throw some sweet red peppers and basil on there and I'll take a large all to myself, please.)

What are my mom's hobbies? Going to the gym. (Okay, this is getting ridiculous. I spend as much time blogging, singing, reading, and watching television, but this is apparently what they are noticing. Devlin's teacher knows what I look like and surely realizes he is exaggerating.)

What is my mom's favorite kind of flower? Roses. (Correction: almost anything but roses.)

Where was my mom born? Mesa. (Houston.)

Where does my mom like to shop? Sprouts. (No, my son. I only like to shop without children, and the only places I take you and your sisters are places I absolutely cannot avoid going. Like, to get food so we don't die of starvation. Sprouts is closest.)

What is my mom's favorite holiday? Christmas. (Guilty as charged.)

What does my mom love most about me? I am funny. (No, that's what you love most about you. I love everything about you.)

What do I love most about my mom? She makes the best brownies ever! (Well, then it's a jolly good thing I live at the gym and am saving my pennies for a treadmill.)

Comments (7)

Those must be some killer brownies! I love kid's perspectives on the world! My Savannah's Mother's Day book said that I am 16 ft tall and weigh 5 lbs. Slightly disturbing to try to picture that!

Cute. Isn't it fun to hear their perspective?

You were born on Valentine's Day!!! I already thought you had a romantic life story; singing like an angel, married to your high school sweetheart. And now I know that your story starts like this "Rachel Dalton Dixon sang her way into this world on Valentine's Day in Houston".

I love that last comment.

So fun to hear Dev's responses. Isn't he awesome? I love that picture of the three of them. They look SO much alike in it!

I totally want to do these surveys with my kids next year. I've seen a few this year and love them!

Love it! :) Devlin is such a rad kid.
And I'm glad someone had a good Mother's Day. Maybe David should teach a class.

I think I was laughing the entire time I read that survey! Oh, I love it! What fun you must have had reading that.