I just don't know where she gets this

Posted by The Wizzle | Posted on Tuesday, May 10, 2011 at 10:15 PM

3

Eve has a little shoe problem.

She won't wear them.

Every chance she gets - and I do mean that in the most literal sense, like if she's not using both hands to hang on to the back of a speeding locomotive - the shoes come off.

Her feet look like the feet of an 80-year-old beggar from the streets of Mumbai. (I hope that's okay to say. It's the God's honest truth.) They're filthy, they're scaly, they're cracked in multiple places, and although they look like they're most of the way there, apparently gangrene hasn't yet set in because they're also quite painful.

Imagine that. Her cracked, bleeding feet hurt when she uses them to ride a scooter. On asphalt. Without shoes.

My children are very, very smart, as you can clearly see.

Apparently, tonight while I was working, her minor injuries got upgraded. I'll give you one guess how this happened.



Hey Eve, that band-aid will stay on a lot better if you put a sock over it!

Fat chance. Does anyone else want to take this girl to swimming lessons tomorrow? Because I'm not looking forward to it.

Comments (3)

Oh man. I was so Eve when I was her age. Never wore shoes. Ever. Even on the hot desert gravel in july as i ran 300 yards to get the mail and 300 yards back.
The upside? She'll develop nice, sturdy arches ; )

Yikes! I was going to say, just wait until it's 110 outside and then she'll learn pretty quick that shoes are preferable. But reading Emily's comment doesn't give me much hope. I do have to say though, that this post reminded me of the beautiful "Cinderella" reference one you wrote a while back about the same problem. I still LOVE that post and think about it often.

You're so right, Tasha! That "Cinderella" moment has probably been the most profoundly transformative in my entire mothering "career". I am truly grateful for that experience, and for getting to hash it out for myself, on this blog.

I have not asked her if there is a reason, in her imagination, why she does not wear shoes. I will tomorrow. There almost always is, and if I find out I will come back and tell you all. :)