His special lady

Posted by The Wizzle | Posted on Sunday, June 19, 2011 at 8:41 PM

7

Here's the deal.

David and I met 15 years ago. Ever since our first date, we have been a pair. We make each other laugh. We make each other think. We fight fair. We don't like all the same things, but we like enough of the same things. We're both grumpy, but we're not usually grumpy at the same time.

The cruise was amazing, not because it was a cruise, but because we were on it. When you've been married this long, and you have a bunch of little kids, and lawn to be mowed, dishes to be washed, homework to be done, butts to be wiped, duties to be discharged - it's frighteningly easy to forget where you came from.

Don't get me wrong.

I don't want to be who I was. I don't want to go back to high school. Or college. Or 5 years ago. I like now just fine, thank you. I don't resent my many obligations, I adore my kids, and I'm extremely grateful for the job that takes so much of David's time.

But I had literally forgotten what it felt like to really relax. Not for a couple of hours, knowing that we had to be home so the babysitter could get to bed at a decent time, or David checking his work email during dinner. We were gone. Out of touch. Out of reach. No interwebs, no responsibilities, just us.

And it turns out we still like each other.



A lot.

I love him, he loves me, we love our kids, I love my life. That's pretty much it in a nutshell. I don't feel all of those things every moment - and at some moments I don't feel any of them - but after all this time, I feel pretty safe in saying that's the bottom line.

I can hardly imagine what the next 10 years will hold.

But I bet I'm going to like that, too.

Happy anniversary, happy Father's Day, and i.love.you.

Forever.

Comments (7)

Aw. I'm so glad you're so happy together.

aw, I love this. And you. And David. And your kids. Such a happy little read. :)

I love this! You guys are an inspiration of real marriages that are Awesome.
<3

Love this. I think I need to get my man on a cruise now.

Best post ever.

I think the greatest thing about reading your blog is you put into words so well the things that so many of us feel. Thank you for giving voice to thoughts that I feel but don't know how to speak as eloquently. I could say this exact same thing about my life word for word. And now I want to go on a cruise.

oh garsh, so beautiful. yes.
and you wrote what i could have written, but much less wordy and la la la than me. i quite like your way. happy lovey dovey to you love birds.
this is the good life.