Space Oddity

Posted by The Wizzle | Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2011 at 8:03 PM

1

OK, I decided to do this vacation chronologically, so you will just have to wait one more day to find out the 5 layers of the Cruise Ship Food Pyramid (hint: the foundation is french fries.)

We had one full day in Florida before the cruise and we decided to spend it at the Kennedy Space Center, I assume because David couldn't bear the thought of going to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter without our children to blame for it. That is fine, because right now I still have the last movie to look forward to. In about a year, when I've read all the books again and am desperate for a fix, I'm going and I'm taking my kids and I don't care if we have to hitchhike all the way.

So, the Space Center.

Now I realize that the Space Race generation wasn't as wholesome as everyone seems to remember, and Mr. Kennedy's ladykilling ways would have been much more problematic had they happened in the Age of Twitter, but it is nonetheless incredibly moving for me to imagine this bold young President, challenging in no uncertain terms an unsuspecting nation to go from Earth to the moon in just a few short years.

"But why, some say, the moon? Why choose this as our goal? And they may well ask why climb the highest mountain? Why, 35 years ago, fly the Atlantic? Why does Rice play Texas? We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win."

- JFK, 1962

And to this end, they thought it was a good idea to put a human being into that contraption on the far left and shoot it into outer space.



It's, like, the size of a pencil.

They got the hang of it, though, and the eventual moon landing was courtesy of this vehicle here, with two average-size humans for scale:



We saw a presentation in the very room, preserved exactly as it was in 1969, where Launch Control sent that Saturn V rocket on its way to the moon. Pretty awesome.



And I stood in front of the wall of newspapers proclaiming the historic news for about 20 minutes:



It turns out all this open-mouth staring makes a girl hungry:



And, in Devlin's honor, I got my picture taken with Someone In An Astronaut Costume. Yes, my legs are slightly less white by the end of the week, thanksverymuch.



Now tomorrow, seriously - the cruise. Pinky swear.

Comments (1)

I tried to comment a while ago and it wouldn't work, so I will try again. If you get two similar comments from The Clodster, you will know why. Hm. That sounds like a very cool place. I remember so much of the news coverage from when I was growing up. Kind of fascinating.