Stupify!

Posted by The Wizzle | Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2011 at 8:33 PM

5

That's going to be me tomorrow on 4 hours of sleep: stupified.

Because I'm going to the midnight showing of the very last Harry Potter movie tonight!!!

(Wow, I never use three exclamation points. I think I'm going to need a nap before I head out).

This week has been spent in moderately-frantic preparation for today. There was a movie release party at the library this afternoon, and they said "come in costume!" so, of course, we did.



I found almost everything at thrift stores or in our own closets, except Iris's pillowcase dress, which I made from er, an old pillowcase and two unused IKEA curtain tiebacks. Her ears are courtesy of the dollar store and a little old-fashioned creativity, the wands are sticks from my mom's pear tree, but the Gryffindor ties and Dev's glasses I did buy new from a costume shop.

(The library event was at 1:30. At 12:50, I had never tied a necktie. At 12:55, I taught myself to tie a four-in-hand knot via the Brooks Brothers website. Why four-in-hand? It has the coolest name, although the Prince Albert knot did give me more than a few minutes' amusement.)

And Devlin's scar? On our way out the door, I realized all I had for a red scar was washable marker, which wouldn't last 5 minutes in the Phoenix heat. At the last moment, I drew on the lightning bolt, squeezed out a few drops of Fray-Chek on my finger, and dabbed it over the ink to dry. It worked like a charm, and after dinner I just peeled the whole thing right off!

Of course, after all this effort, there was only one other attendant in costume, and I was certainly the only grown-up in character. If things like that bothered me, well, I wouldn't be me! We had a ball, and Halloween is all taken care of. You have no idea how big a relief this will be in a few months!

I'm sure you're dying to see my costume, and see it you shall.

Tomorrow.

Goodnight, sweet muggles!

Comments (5)

Love, love, love. They turned out perfectly! Have fun tonight!

they look amazing. you would make your kids HP costumes. i just love it. so much fun!

They're so cute! I love Iris as Dobby!

Oh. My. Gosh. Iris is adorable! You did such a good job on their costumes!

This is awesome. Such a cool mom you are.