Avoidance maneuver

Posted by The Wizzle | Posted on Tuesday, August 9, 2011 at 8:26 PM

3



(I'm trying to distract myself from what I know is coming. Iris's hair has a hypnotic effect.)

Tomorrow is the first day of school.

I am mostly thrilled. The kids have had a lovely, low-key, relaxing summer, swimming and reading and building forts with the couch cushions. We have eaten lots of watermelon and taken lots of naps - and there has been plenty of sibling discontent, too.

I think they're ready to head back. And I think I'm ready too.

Devlin will be in third grade, and I'm not too worried about him. We have done this a few times before, he and I. Sure, he's a little quirky, and a full head shorter than everyone else in his class, but I think his variety show routine last year earned him quite a few admirers.

I think he's made a name for himself. He is safe.

But tomorrow is Eve's first day of kindergarten. And the first day of kindergarten is pretty emotional for me. There are just so many things to worry about for a tender little sprite leaving the safety of her home for the first time.

I hope she likes her teacher.

I hope her teacher likes her.

I hope someone will be her friend on the playground.

I hope she remembers what classroom she is in.

I hope her shoes don't give her owies when she walks there and back.

I hope Devlin is kind to her while they walk, and doesn't make her cry or do anything unsafe.

I hope she likes her lunch.

I hope she knows how much I love her.

Whatever happens, she knows she had a big hug and a plate of cookies waiting for her when she gets home.

Comments (3)

I feel for you! This sending your kids off to school thing is rough.

This is breaking my heart five years too soon.

You are such a sweet mom, Rachel. Eve will be wonderful. She'll make lots of friends, she's a little social butterfly. She will have a great time there, I'm sure of it.

I will call you tomorrow. Was planning to anyway, but this just confirmed it.

I LOVE YOU!!

It is one of those happy/sad days. I remember it well. She's a wonderful child and will do just fine. She has a good foundation, and that means everything.