Chugga Chugga Choo Choo

Posted by The Wizzle | Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2011 at 8:42 PM

2

Around 4 this afternoon, I was wondering out loud how I was going to survive until bedtime.

Iris now has no one but me to absorb her considerable verbal output, and so it feels like she talks all.day.long. I must verify every birdie sighting, confirm the correct technique of every pirouette, and certify 4,732 daily wardrobe changes.

She didn't nap. That's never a good thing.

Devlin and Eve come home from school every day and leave their warm, festering lunch remains in their backpacks, which they drop on the ground in a trail that also includes their sweaty, sandy clothes. All their clothes.

(Except their shoes. Those usually go on the kitchen counter. No, I don't understand it either).

Once they cool down a little bit - which I agree they are fully entitled to do - they wander back into the kitchen, glassy-eyed, and ask for snacks. They do this until dinner, which they then of course will not eat because they have been snacking for three straight hours, unless I intervene.

So, if you're keeping track, that's a clumsy, overtired, highly verbal toddler with no short-term memory, and two hot, hungry kids in their underwear who I have to convince to do homework and keep their food intake to merely, say, yogurt, an apple, a glass of milk and a cookie.

Actually, it was a really nice day. But at 4 in the afternoon, I was falling asleep on the floor and it was kind of all adding up.

Then we got to my parents' house, and Papa got out the trains.



And suddenly everything was awesome again.

Devlin was setting up obstacles on the track:



Iris was absolutely smitten with the train whistle and conductor's hat:





And Eve was close by and yet so far away, in her little hiding spot under the piano:



It was just the right reset button. We came home to a beautiful (low-key) dinner, baths all around, and then Devlin offered to read the bedtime story so I would have time to put foam curlers in Eve's hair.

So now the girls are in bed with silk kerchiefs on their heads like Rosie the Riveter, and my chivalrous young gentleman has drifted off to the strains of Beethoven's Ninth.

I have managed to only run the dishwasher once today.

David comes home tomorrow.

All is well.

Comments (2)

Awesome. Nothing a little bit of trains couldn't help. Nana and Papa are the best!!!

oh how i love this. that evie under the piano is my fave. or maybe its lana in the hat.... so cute!