Grief

Posted by The Wizzle | Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2011 at 8:03 PM

5

It sounds really stupid, and I almost don't want to say it, because it sounds like I am making my tiny little non-problems out to be Real Problems - but I think I am grieving the loss of Iris's tooth.

Today I can mostly talk about it without crying, but several times I have just welled up with tears out of the clear blue sky. I can't look at her mouth. Her tooth is gone, it's not coming back (not for a good long time anyway), and I wasn't ready.

She's asleep in her room right now, and she has a big drool spot on her pillow because her lip is so big she can't keep her mouth closed, and she doesn't know what to do with her new tooth configuration. She keeps trying to suck her thumb in her sleep, and the suction reopens the wound so she wakes up with blood all over her face and pillow.

She's fine. The tooth fairy brought her an Elmo DVD, Granny brought popsicles. There is no real problem from her point of view.

But I'm pretty sad. I keep looking at the last picture I took of her with all her teeth. I wish I had known what was going to happen - I would have filled the memory card with her perfect little smile.

I think this might be a little bit crazy, so feel free to ignore me. Just please don't tell me to my face, okay? Because I don't think I can handle it right now.

Comments (5)

Nope, not stupid at all. Hang in there.

Gracie (my 5-year-old) lost her first tooth at 4.5 years old, on my birthday. I totally grieved, and she's my first (and was obviously much older than Iris). I can't imagine how hard that would be with your "baby." I'm not trying to make it worse, just trying to validate your feelings--it's hard when little bits of their baby-hood are snatched away too soon. :( Good luck!

Sorry you are having a rough time with this. Time is a great healer and it will get better. But I really understand.

I think Iris, in her adult mind, would be touched by your tenderness. You have every right to grieve. I can't imagine I'd react any differently if I was in your shoes. Just shows how much you love her and want what's best for her. :)

Oh I just love that you are being so honest about your feelings about this. I would be too afraid people would think I was being dumb but I would totally feel the same way. This *almost* happened to Clive a few months ago. He fell and knocked his mouth and he was bleeding and I CALLED 911! There's a funny story. Eck. Moron. Anyway his front tooth was knocked back and loose. I was so afraid he'd lose it. Longer story short, he hasn't lost it. It started turning colors so it looked rotten for a while which was awesome but now it's back to normal. BUT. I thought he would lose it and I had just the same feelings you are having. I would feel the same way. And I'm not sure the comments would make me feel better, but before you know it it will come back and it will be such an endearing, cute trademark.