Jackrabbit Pride

Posted by The Wizzle | Posted on Friday, October 21, 2011 at 10:19 PM

4

Homecoming weekend at Mesa High. Good old Mesa High!

David's youngest sister Holly is student body president, so I officially have more connections and appearance of popularity now, 12 years out of high school, than I ever did while I was actually there! She asked if I would be one of the alumni speakers at the annual Traditions Assembly, so this morning I brought Iris on stage with me (which was mostly pretty smooth, and very entertaining). I spoke a little bit about the lessons I took away from Mesa High, where my grandparents, parents, myself, and my high-school sweetheart/now my husband all went.

I did leave out the part about how my kids will go to Mountain View, the sworn rival of Mesa High. That seemed prudent.

The big football game was tonight:







Eve was chosen to be a crown bearer for the homecoming royalty, along with her cousin Chloe:



She has been wearing that Mona Lisa smile ever since. I would give a million dollars to be able to spend a few minutes in her head and see all the floridly spectacular imaginings that must be swirling around in there. I imagine that carrying that velvet pillow with a crown resting atop, and handing it off to a Real Life King, has kicked off a good week's worth of fantasy.

One enigmatic dreamer, one toothless social butterfly. I love it:



Today's joy: At my children's elementary school, the students and teachers can send "Hale mail" to each other each week. Today, Eve brought home a little blue slip of Hale mail, from her brother. It read: "Dear Eve, Hi! Hopeing you the best! Have fun!"

Then he drew of picture of himself and Eve holding hands.

Then I died of happiness.

Comments (4)

Sure enjoyed your presentation this morning, and Iris stole the hearts of the audience. Thanks for supporting at the game and for letting Eve participate. What a great day/night!

Ha ha I like the mt view bit. I think my kids will be going to westwood. I would have loved to hear you! And visit good ole mesa high. I haven't been there for a lonnngg time. i miss it!

I love the brother to sister mail story. So sweet.

I just love everything about this. It's all the best. (And I love that you probably made every girl with a current high school sweetheart swoon when you said you married yours.)

Wish I could have been there. Who is that hot guy in the background of the third photo? I am with you, I would have paid to see how Eve's mind was taking it all in. I think she just had the best day a kid could have.