A Brief Departure

Posted by The Wizzle | Posted on Thursday, December 8, 2011 at 12:35 PM

4

I ran 6 miles this morning.

(Just let that sink in for a bit. It's still sinking in for me.)

The last time I remember "running", on purpose, before I started this adventure a few months ago, was in ninth grade. We had to run a mile for PE, and I didn't actually think I would die, but I was virtually certain I was going to toss my cookies. My friend Nica insisted that I go to the nurse's office when I finished because my face was so red.

Today, I ran and ran and ran.

I ran through water breaks.

I ran through unfamiliar, rocky terrain.

I ran through a lengthy conversation with first one animal control, then another, then the police department (non-emergency) about a brown lab who had fallen in the canal and needed rescue.


I ran past landmark after landmark where I used to have to stop and walk to catch my breath.

I never thought I could do it.

But I can.

And I know I can do more.

* * * * *

Your free tip for the day is: for an additional, inadvertent arm workout while running, have your child lock the front stroller wheel and try to push it normally. One-handed, while you are on the phone for 20 minutes about the dog in the canal.

Comments (4)

Ouch, on the arm thing. But well done, friend! Running and saving dogs? You're practically a superhero.

Multi-tasking? While running? Truly, you must be supernatural! Way to rock it, Rachel!

Well, there's a clue that I run slowly enough to carry on a conversation while I do it. I'm hoping speed will come with time!

You can do hard things! Yay!