Dressember 19: Love At Home

Posted by The Wizzle | Posted on Monday, December 19, 2011 at 6:40 PM

1

This weekend, Eve went to play at a friend's house.

Her friend, not my friend.

(Usually I am the kind of mom who gets together with my own friends who have children, ostensibly so our offspring can play together, but mostly so I can have at least the promise of adult conversation.)

So it was kind of a big deal to arrange a time specifically so Eve and Rhiannon could roast marshmallows and pretend to be ponies and play in a tent in the backyard.

When I picked Eve up, she miraculously did not protest, and instead made her goodbyes with several rounds of hugs and kisses. When we got to the car, I asked Eve if Rhiannon was her best friend at school.

She put her head to the side. "She is a good friend in my class, but not my best friend at school."

"Is it Ryan then?" I asked, thinking of our next-door neighbors' granddaughter.

"No, not Ryan either. My best friend at school", she said quietly, "is Devlin".



I think I am going to put that one in the bank so it can gather interest, and I can pull it out some time when I need to be reminded that this whole parenting thing is really going to turn out okay in the end.

* * * * *

I am ashamed to even put this next picture in the same post, but a promise is a promise. It's so terrible because I didn't change out of my gym clothes until 4 pm (did you know that as long as you actually do break a sweat at some point in the day, it's totally okay to stay in your yoga attire as long as you want? True story.) By the time I had a spare moment for a photograph, it was pitch dark and I had to take it myself in my filthy mirror while my daughters were (hopefully not drowning) in the bathtub.

(And no, I didn't shower today either. Not that you were probably even wondering at this point. Pretty much unless I announce otherwise with skywriting or a billboard, I didn't shower.)

C'est la vie.

Dressember 19: This is how I like to do black-and-white: with a pop of color (or two, or three).



Earrings: You've seen them twice already. They are still lovely.
Necklace: Target
Top: Banana Republic
Cardigan: Target via a clothing swap, so FREE
Watch: Kenneth Cole (I only have one, it's always on)
Skirt: Anthro
Tights: Spanx
Boots: Report, from Last Chance

Comments (1)

Eve's comment just melted my heart and the liquid came out of my eyes.