Dressember (unlucky) 13

Posted by The Wizzle | Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2011 at 10:08 PM

2

I hate all the photos of today's outfit.

Probably because I hated my outfit.



Earrings: who knows?
Scarf: London souvenir, mmmmm cashmere
Sweater: J. Crew, thrifted
Dress: Target
Tights: Last Chance
Boots: Born

"Hate" is too strong. It was cold and gray and rainy today, and the only dresses I own but haven't yet worn are a) a slinky cocktail dress (yes, I have one more!) and a synthetic jersey dress that also has a very cold feel. I wanted something snuggly, so I thought I would layer over this one and try it a different way.

Spirit of Dressember and all.

But this stupid sweater always makes me feel dumpy. The neckline just does me no favors. Every time I put it on, I feel like it have to break up the vast expanse of horizontal woolen stripes with a necklace, or a scarf. I wanted to give it a fair shot before I alter it, or upcycle it, and I think I've reached the point where I'm ready to move on. Maybe I'll make it into a cardigan?

Or maybe...I'll make it into fingerless gloves!



I made those for the kids out of old felted wool sweaters, and I lined them with, respectively, a Hanna Andersson long john top from Goodwill, and a pair of tights whose waist elastic had given out.

I'm going all Little House On the Prairie on you guys. Next I'll be churning my own butter and weaving hats out of straw left over from the threshing, or whatever.

Anyway, laugh if you want, but they love them (Devlin sleeps in his). I'll tell you this much: making a pair of gloves that Eve will wear without complaint all day is a feat of crafting that anyone should be proud to claim.

P.S. That same Hanna long john top has also been the source material for not one, but TWO hats. And I still have a whole sleeve left to work with!

If you ask very nicely, I might let you take a peek...

Comments (2)

Nicely done, Rachel!

Those fingerless gloves are so cute. My kids love theirs too. They wear them all over. Isn't it weird what kids will latch onto?

I think that sweater would make a really cute cardigan. I saw a Pinterest pin where the lady did something similar but with ribbon and one with ruffles. I think the simple one you posted to would make your sweater much more versatile. I love cardigans because I don't have to mess up my hair taking them off or putting them on.