Dude, it's already the 10th.

Posted by The Wizzle | Posted on Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 7:46 PM

7

(Name that movie.)

So, it's not the 10th exactly, but I feel like I'm a little late to the New Year's resolution party.

Luckily, I don't care. And having a few extra days to think about my goals for this beautiful, freshly minted year has only been a good thing.

Yes, I could have used the last week of December to think it over, and have had them all ready to go bright and shiny the morning of January 1, but then, well, I just wouldn't be me.

Since my resolutions do not include a personality transplant, let us begin right where we are.

January 4, 2012.

Deep breath.

Shoulders down, neck relaxed.

There, that's better.

* * * * *

In 2012, I will run 500 miles. I didn't keep track last year, but this comes out to about 10 miles a week, which will happen very easily if I keep to my current schedule. It's totally attainable, but doesn't allow for me to fall off the wagon or skip weeks very often. Perfect.

Plus, there is this song.

In 2012, I will run a 10K...and a half marathon. The first is not a stretch. The second definitely is. Wish me luck.

In 2012, I will travel with my whole family, and just with That Guy I Married. I love going places, and 2011 reminded me how much I love my husband, and being his wifey, so I definitely think that needs to happen lots more. But I also want to take my kids places and not piss and moan so much about the stress of traveling with kids. Yes, it's stressful. But it's fun too. Get over it, self.

In 2012, I will end the year using the same water bottle I just purchased in Santa Barbara. This is probably the resolution that is least likely to happen. Water bottles in this house are cursed.

In 2012, I will learn the Chopin etude in E major. All of it. Not just the beginning and the end, which I have been playing very nicely for about 2 years. That bit in the middle is scary, but it is going down.

In 2012, I will not lose my voice yelling at my kids or break anything in anger. I was trying to think of a way that I could really measure how I was doing in this area, since "never raising my voice" is definitely not going to happen, and I know for myself that measurable goals stick with me a lot better than nebulous, undefinable ones. I realized, after thinking about it for awhile, that when I yell and I lose control, which is what I am wanting to eliminate, I let everything go and I do actually make myself hoarse.

(Do you have my Mother of the Year medal all ready to go? Shiny and polished?)

So I thought - if, when I need to raise my voice, I can keep my wits about me, remember to breathe deeply first and use my voice deliberately, even though it's loud, or stern, or both - then I think that will accomplish what I want to do.

And the other part? Seriously, Wizzle, you are 30 years old. Stop having tantrums and breaking doors and whatnot.

You're welcome.

Here's to me, and you, and all of us in this magical year ahead!

Comments (7)

You're pretty ambitious with those running goals! Way to be!

What great goals, Rachel! I know you can accomplish them. :) It feels like everyone is so excited for this new year in particular, and it's very refreshing. I'm excited too.

{Just fyi, both the links in your post go to "500 Miles")

Oooh, thanks Alicia! I fixed that for sure.

Impressive list. Go you!

Thanks a lot. Now I have that song stuck in my head. Darn you.

Nice goals. I should probably get on that myself. I like to think of January as being a goal setting month - as 9n, I can take all of January to reflect and decide what I want to work towards, instead of having to have a list ready to go for the first. and also - Big Lebowski FTW.

*snicker* you make me laugh. -- I totally am with you on the tantrum bit. I like your idea of reach-able goals... I, too, shall adopt. :)

OH! I'm also working on *mastering* at least ONE piano piece every year. I am so thrilled you are doing this! This year: Claire de Lune. (I'm almost done with the first page ;)

Let's get together this summer when we visit & show our progress!