One Day More

Posted by The Wizzle | Posted on Monday, January 16, 2012 at 5:38 PM

3

I worked really, really hard to have the girls' room ready for unveiling in time for tonight's post.

But it isn't.

It's sooooooo close, and I could put the girls to sleep in my bed again tonight, finish hanging and organizing everything, and take terrible flash photos at 11:59, just for technicality's sake.

But I think instead, I'll just post a few things I have learned during this project, a "before" picture, and you can see the fruits of my labors on the morrow.



(This is just one narrow angle of the crazy explosion that was my previous decor scheme. I know I have a more recent, more comprehensive shot, but I'm having a hard time laying my hands on it.)

1. Any room that children use needs to be painted about once a year, even if you don't change colors. As I painted my way around the room (which I originally did less than 2 years ago, and have touched up since then) I couldn't believe how filthy and dinged up the walls were. No wonder I was feeling twitchy!

2. Neutrals are actually kind of awesome. (On the walls, not in my wardrobe.) I literally can hardly believe I'm saying this, but I am totally loving the very quiet color I chose for their room. It almost makes me want to go back through my insane rainbow house and tone it down a little - or a lot.

3. It really helps to have a goal in mind from the beginning. I usually don't get the opportunity to do a room "all at once" - I have to do it piecemeal, over the course of years, due to budget constraints and whatever else.

Mostly budget constraints, let's be honest.

But boy howdy, it sure does come together better when you have a vision from the get-go, and choose everything to support to that vision, instead of just using whatever you happen across and hoping it all adds up to something awesome.

4. I do a lot of work around the house. And I haven't done any of it for 4 days. It's looking pretty scary around here.

5. I hate drywall anchors. Like, I would rather throw myself into the Colorado River than ever, ever, EVER try to use one again. At least not in this house, where the drywall is made with powdered dragon scales mixed with the blood of 1975's World's Strongest Man finalists. It breaks 60% of what I try to hammer into it, yet allows the remainder to randomly fall out of the wall and onto my children's heads.

I am so excited to show you guys all the changes! Until tomorrow...

Comments (3)

I can't wait! I can't do any decorating of my own right now (budget) so I have to live vicariously through my friends. I'm so excited to see what you've done!

I'm looking forward to the unveiling. I know it will be awesome!

Looking forward to tomorrow. Always love to see room transformations!