The Power of Now

Posted by The Wizzle | Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2012 at 6:55 PM

3

If it seems like I post about Iris more than the other kids, that's because I'm pretty sure I do.

She's my buddy this year:

in my face

hanging on my leg

pulling my hand

examining my earrings

lifting up my skirt

asking me the same question 347 times, just ever so slightly different each time

hogging the spotlight

confirming the itinerary

being the baby

When the kitchen is clean after breakfast, and it's time for her to watch a show, she always asks me to snuggle with her on the couch.

And even though there are a million other things I could/should be doing, and even though I know it means I will probably fall back asleep for at least half an hour, making me feel (and, indeed, be) very lazy, I always say yes.

Because the housework, unlike my children, never does go and finish itself when I'm not paying attention. It's always there, waiting exactly (so pitifully exactly) the way I left it. I lose nothing by ignoring it for a while.

But because Iris is my third, and my last, I am pretty much on to the way babies have of growing up at an alarming rate if you aren't watching every moment.

(And even if you are.)

Devlin and Eve, I don't lie when I write here, so when I say that I love you every bit as much as Iris, you can know that it is true.

But I know you will indulge me if I loudly slurp up every last drop of this year, when you are in school, learning and growing so fast, and Iris is still all mine.

I know I will be ready to move on to the next stage when it comes, because that is how it has always been for me. I love my babies when they are babies, but it is just as much fun to help them learn to read, to have wild scientific and philosophical conversations with them, to explore the world together.

But this year - this day - with my baby is pretty amazingly perfect, just the way it is.

Comments (3)

I really needed to read your post today. I have had a hellofa weekend and the constant need to clean my house (because no one else does) haunts me at every turn. I need to sit back and remember that my home could be worse... There could be bugs on the ground and stains on the floors and walls. Laundry is never finished and even though I pray that one day my parents wont look at my home in disdain and judgement, I really need to remember it is not as important as taking care of my babies. I am always tired but I'll sleep when Im dead, time to cuddle! :)

I think tomorrow I'm going to do some much-needed snuggling myself. Mary Poppins, here we come!

Yes! Snuggle! Always snuggle!! I cannot imagine a time I would not want to snuggle with my babies, grown or not! Soak it up, girl! Soak it right up.