Exhale

Posted by The Wizzle | Posted on Friday, August 17, 2012 at 7:18 PM

2


"Never start a boy in school early".

"Boys always struggle if they are the youngest in their class".

"Being smart isn't all there is to school - you have to consider social skills too".

"But if he plays football, don't you want him to have the size advantage of being older"?



(Seriously, does this child look like he will EVER play football?!)

I'm not here to discount all those people who shared their experiences with me over the (literally) years while I was trying to decide what to do with my little sensitive, nerdy boy whose birthday fell just beyond the school-year cutoff.  I appreciate them sharing their wisdom with me, and I'm sure they are, by and large, statistically, right on the money.



But I trusted my own judgment, and the opinions of his teachers, who worked with him every day, and we started him early anyway.

He's the smallest, for sure, and kind of wiggly, and has a major, terminal case of know-it-all-itis.

But my sweet scrawny, goofy, bookish fourth-grader was voted today by his classmates to the (apparently highly coveted) position of student council class representative.



And 5 years into his school career, I think I'm finally starting to relax - stop waiting for his peers to turn on him and somehow declare him undesirable, in that weird unspoken yet binding way that children have - and trust that he is finding his way, and making his name.

Comments (2)

Nerds are awesome and Devlin is so much fun to read about. :) Way to be proud, mama!

Way to go, Devlin! We love you and we're so proud of you! Now and always.